Thread: Locust

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

Locust

Got some locust from my brother when i was up home. Just would like to know if anyone has ever turned it, and what to expect. Does it crack and warp bad,or is it more like mesquite? It sorta looks like mesquite when i ruffed the one piece on the lathe this am.Can i turn it to finish or should i twice turn?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Can i turn it to finish or should i twice turn?
    Boy if you can get it all to shape in 2 revolution your a better man then me I have to kepp the lathe running for several thousand turn before I can get it to shape....
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Boy if you can get it all to shape in 2 revolution your a better man then me I have to kepp the lathe running for several thousand turn before I can get it to shape....
    Don this is part of a root ball, and still green. I bagged it up on the trip home so it woun't dry out any. Keith (my brother) has some posts he pulled up from his fence and these were put in the ground about 25 years ago. There still in great shape, but you can't drive a staple or nail in them. He says if he is to reuse them, he'll have to drill them to get the staples in.

dont know on the turning steve but had some cut into lumber and it didnt warp bad at all.. and its tough as nail when dry.. your gonna want to turn it green for sure..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Steve, I've turned honey locust, and it was pretty stable. I twice turned it, and it was hard as woodpecker lips when dry. Pretty wood though, so a root ball should be worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

There are two types I'm aware of. They are Honey Locust and Black Locust. They are both hard,but turn well, The Black Locust has a pink color. A root bowl should be outstanding. Can't wait to see it fnished!

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Due to my ignorance about english wood names, when I saw the title of this thread I imagined what a locust ( the insect) had to do in this forum, now my curiosity has awakened, could anyone post a pic of that wood?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...