Locust

Boy if you can get it all to shape in 2 revolution your a better man then me I have to kepp the lathe running for several thousand turn before I can get it to shape....:rolleyes::hide:
Don this is part of a root ball, and still green. I bagged it up on the trip home so it woun't dry out any. Keith (my brother) has some posts he pulled up from his fence and these were put in the ground about 25 years ago. There still in great shape, but you can't drive a staple or nail in them. He says if he is to reuse them, he'll have to drill them to get the staples in.

dont know on the turning steve but had some cut into lumber and it didnt warp bad at all.. and its tough as nail when dry.. your gonna want to turn it green for sure..

Steve, I've turned honey locust, and it was pretty stable. I twice turned it, and it was hard as woodpecker lips when dry. Pretty wood though, so a root ball should be worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are two types I'm aware of. They are Honey Locust and Black Locust. They are both hard,but turn well, The Black Locust has a pink color. A root bowl should be outstanding. Can't wait to see it fnished!

Bruce

Due to my ignorance about english wood names, when I saw the title of this thread I imagined what a locust ( the insect) had to do in this forum, now my curiosity has awakened, could anyone post a pic of that wood?