Coolest tool ever!

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Considering it was 101 out today and 110 in the shop, I made a small purchase...21.5" wide

2012-06-30 15.09.18.jpg

It's now 75* in the office.

I had to do some creative engineering as the window is surface mounted from the outside and this one relies on support from the outside of the window on the lower sash, which it doesn't have. Once again the Kreg jig came in handy and saved the day.

The unit needed a 1" overhang outside of the window. Rather than doing that I gave it a 1" overhang inside, and used the entire window frame to support the weight of the unit, which is centered over the window's center point. I did have to add some flashing on the outside on each side to make sure the rain ran off.

As you can see I cut a 3/4 wide board to run across the top to support the weight of the unit and used kreg screws to secure it.

2012-06-30 14.47.18.jpg

As mentioned in Tom B's thread, I'll be moving the unit to an opening in the wall at a later (cooler) date. Too bad the units with heating built in weren't cheaper, and I'd have been able to kill two birds with one stone.

Nice. I find an afternoon dip in my hillbilly above ground pool with a frosty beverage to be just the ticket to take the edge off the heat...

Cool, Darren! While I was building the addition to my shop, I bought a unit similar to yours. I provisioned an opening for it as I was framing the corner where I wanted it. I use it sparingly but it sure is nice when I need it!

Glad to see you guys in warm places are keeping your shops cool. Congrats Darren, looks excellent.
You know, I like posting photos of my shop surrounded by 2 feet of snow, but this time of year, it sits in a shady spot, and stays pretty comfortable most every day. I'm glad that those who need the AC can get it.