Big memories, small project

Frank Fusco

Some of you may recall my occasional mentions of a friend, Len Dillion, who was a masters-master wood carver. Len died about three years ago. His widow died last month. She had offered me the contents of his workshop. I never went as it just didn't feel like the right thing to do. In the shop he had this diamond willow stick that I admired. Well, last week their children held a yard sale to get rid of 'things'. In the lot was this stick. Len had put a finish on it but never handled it. I'm sure if he had it would have been a great carving. Eagle or Wolf head or somthing similar.
I bought it and put a handle on it. Not a carving, just simple turning from mahogany. Debated among OO, Walnut, Sugar Berry or this Mahagony.
I don't need a cane but will put it with the others I have made for the day when I will/might need one.
BTW, Len called his home and retirement business Diamond D. The name was for his wife, Dorothy who he often referred to has a diamond. Diamond Willow is appropriate.Diamond willow cane.jpg

Nice one Frank. Kinda looks like an Irish shilelagh. You could carry it as a nice cane but if the going got tough, put the bad guys for a six. :) Glad you went to the garage sale. Its tough when friends pass on.

well done frank,, sometimes our hesitance is a fault,, the family may not have had much reverence for his stuff as you did and it may have went by the wayside.. we all make tough choices in these situations...

well done frank,, sometimes our hesitance is a fault,, the family may not have had much reverence for his stuff as you did and it may have went by the wayside.. we all make tough choices in these situations...

His home was like a museum of carvings. Each one was breath taking beautiful. The family kept some but sold the others. Methinks they should have gone to an art gallery in a big city. It would have helped his fame as an American artist be preserved.
The stick, I'm sure, compared to the carvings, was just a stick to them.