Help motor is smoking

Well I have been working on getting a Delta dust collector going it is one a guy gave me because the switch went bad and he didnt have time to fix it and just bought another. I have had it for several years in storage. I got the switch to working just by taking it apart and getting all the dirt out of it. Built me a Thien Baffle and put a Wynn filter on it. Was felling real good and fired it up for a test run. Runs great but about 15 sec of run time and the capacitor starts to smoke and melt down. It will still start but it just keeps smoking after a few sec of run time.

So for you electric brain'os do I need to take the motor in to have it checked or will just replacing the capacitor fix the problem.????? :huh::dunno:

Jay sounds like the centrifical switch on the back of the motor is stuck leaving the cap in the circuit when it should be. The switch will disengage at 2/3 speed and re-ngage at about the same speed when to turn the motor off. I can hear mine re-engaging when I shut the collector off. Try taking the end bell off the motor, the switch i located in the end bell. It may just need a little cleaning.

I had a capacitor go on my Delta 1.5hp dust collector once. It sure was exciting to see it all sparking and smoking and burning while it was running. Had to unplug it to get it to stop cause wasn't going anywhere near that switch with everything sparking.

Replaced the capacitor and everything was back to normal. Been working fine for years, but I always keep it close to the garage door in case it decides to go up again.

Well I'm up and running. I had the option of taking the motor in and having it checked for a bad winding at $30 to check it out and then install a run capacitor at $18 if that was all it was. Or just install the capacitor ($18) and see if it smoked. If it was the winding it would have been a throw away motor as it was not worth rewinding. Figured just replace the capacitor if it smoked then throw motor away and find new one and save $30. :rofl:

Heres the proof

100_1819.jpg100_1820.jpg

Sweet! I wonder if that is the same vintage as mine, and they had a bad batch of caps? :huh:

All I know is I'm liking mine even more now that I can use it with all the tools plumbed for it.

Sweet! I wonder if that is the same vintage as mine, and they had a bad batch of caps? :huh:

All I know is I'm liking mine even more now that I can use it with all the tools plumbed for it.

The repair guy said that the one that it had was a real cheap piece of .........stuff and was underrated and he had replaced a LOT of them.
Mine is a 50-850 and man that Thien Baffle is great along with the Wynn filter. I did make the hole smaller than what was in the DC as per Dick Wynn's suggestion and also put a drop tube of flashing in it to drop about an inch below the old cone baffle that it has. Seems to work great so far.

I've got a pretty crudely made thien baffle on a trash can, and felt bags top and bottom. I don't get any chips in the bags, maybe a little dust, but nothing worth emptying. I've been considering going to the wynn, but just haven't gotten around to it. No real need, I guess.