Thread: Home Depot Ply

Home Depot Ply

Has anybody tried the "new" plywood at Home Depot? Purebond is what they are calling it I believe. I need a sheet or two of cherry and thinking about giving it a try.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Your home depot carries cherry? Mine only carries a bare bones supply of red oak and that's it for hard woods basically. Oh some cedar for decking.
    Measure once cut twice.... NO Wait!!!

I've used some 3/4 and 1/2 oak and birch. I haven't had any problems with it.

Cherry and walnut are now special order, in the purebond series.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

From Columbia Forest Product website:

Non-Toxic Technology.
    Soy-Based Adhesive.
    Cost-Competitive.
    North American Made.
    And only from Columbia Forest Products.

The original cost-competitive decorative hardwood plywood without the formaldehyde. PureBond® is Columbia Forest Products' exclusive formaldehyde-free innovation for hardwood plywood manufacturing.

Replacing traditional urea formaldehyde (UF) hardwood plywood construction with non-toxic, soy-based PureBond enables Columbia to eliminate any added formaldehyde from standard veneer-core and non-UF composite hardwood plywood core panels. That's great news for our employees, our customers and the air we all breathe.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Don't know anything about Home Depot's plywood as I rarely shop at HD much anymore... the wife opened an account at Lowe's and we do most of our shopping there...

On another subject of plywood, back when I was working, my company used plywood by the carload... we did export boxing and use 1/2 inch on the sides... our boxes were strong and never came apart.... but when the wood "shortage" developed a few years back, we went looking for a better source of plywood than the local Georgia Pacific distributor. That summer I imported 67 20' containers from Brazil with 31/64" plywood - generally 20 bundles per container... we got more plys per sheet, with fewer voids at about a reduction in total cost, even after paying for transportation from Brazil, rail from Florida ports and customs clearance and duties... worst problem I ran into was finding ships to call the smaller ports of Brazil on a regular basis.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I just bought some Tuesday night. It looks like decent stuff. The veneer is reasonably thick and I didn't find any significant voids, just some knots in the core. I used it to make a cutting table so i ripped it all to 3.875" strips so I saw a lot of the core. I bought birch.

Next time I am near a HD I am going to take a better look.

About a year ago Home Depot gave me the hard sell (they have me as a Pro customer, so could bombard my email). Finally I went in to see the miracle. It was better than in the past, but the 3/4 inch was still only 5 ply, and didn't seem exceptionally smooth under the microscopically thin show layer. It was only a couple dollars cheaper than the 11-15 ply I get from my lumber yard, that provides free delivery on my typical order.

Almost everyone offers formaldehyde free plywood now, but I don't worry about that... the amount of formaldehyde that your body gives off in a day is more than that from most plywood, and the worst cases I have heard is that it is virtually all gone in a month, open to reasonable ventilation.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com