Strange little project

Got ask to build this for a good friend and fellow rust hunter. He has a little Ford Ranger and the arm rest is too low for comfort. he wanted a simple box to raise it 2" and then his wife is going to cover it with padding. I always like the simple things, allows me to try new stuff, if I screw up, it gets covered anyways.

A box with just one end is hard to do with dovetails. Really had to set the jig up close to perfect, because the when you flip it it is really for the other end of the box. I also tried to run the grain around the project, in a wrap effect. Then I wanted to see how well my bandsaw was set up, so I broke out the French curves and rounded the front corners. Really happy how the blade tracked in 5 1/2" thick cut. I inlaid a piece of walnut around three sides as well.

DSCN2300.jpg

DSCN2301.jpg

DSCN2302.jpg

I was in the truck/van place getting a light repaired on my truck cap, and I was looking over all the accessories they sell for vans/trucks/
They had quite a few wooden center console pieces, ranging from 39-159 dollars.
No dovetails, just oak/ash with a cup holder or two.

I had an upholstered one in one of my old trucks, bottom was curved to fit the seat. Never had a problem with it sliding around either. Had a flip up top for storage and two cup holders in the front. I think all my trucks since have had the captain chairs and a center console though.

BTW...nice job!

Many of those quick projects are worth much more than long and complex ones. Good job! Your friend is going to remember you each time he puts his arm at the right height.