Thread: 4th of July cookouts

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

4th of July cookouts

More than 1 in 4 - The chance that the hot dogs and pork sausages consumed on the Fourth of July originated in Iowa. The Hawkeye State was home to 19.0 million hogs and pigs on March 1, 2011. This estimate represents more than one-fourth of the nation's estimated total. North Carolina (8.6 million) and Minnesota (7.6 million) were also homes to large numbers of pigs.Source: USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service6.8 billion pounds - Total production of cattle and calves in Texas in 2010. Chances are good that the beef hot dogs, steaks and burgers on your backyard grill came from the Lone Star State, which accounted for about one-sixth of the nation's total production. And if the beef did not come from Texas, it very well may have come from Nebraska (4.6 billion pounds) or Kansas (4.1 billion pounds).Source: USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service6 - Number of states in which the value of broiler chicken production was $1 billion or greater between December 2009 and November 2010. There is a good chance that one of these states — Georgia, Arkansas, North Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi or Texas — is the source of your barbecued chicken.Source: USDA National Agricultural Statistics ServiceOver 1 in 3 - The odds that your side dish of baked beans originated from North Dakota, which produced 36 percent of the nation's dry, edible beans in 2010. Another popular Fourth of July side dish is corn on the cob. Florida, California, Georgia, Washington and New York together accounted for 68 percent of the fresh market sweet corn produced nationally in 2010.Source: USDA National Agricultural Statistics ServiceOver 7 in 10 - Of the nation's head lettuce production in 2010 that came from California. This lettuce may end up in your salad or on your burger.Source: USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service7 in 10 - The chances that the fresh tomatoes in your salad came from Florida or California, which combined accounted for 71 percent of U.S. fresh market tomato production last year.Source: USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service2.5 Billion Pounds - Florida led the nation in watermelon production last year (750 million pounds). Other leading producers of this popular fruit included California, Georgia and Texas, each had an estimate of more than 600 million pounds.Source: USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service
    Last edited by Don Baer; 07-04-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: correct a type that Ned was so kind to point out
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Amherst, New Hampshire
    I recently read that a product can legally be advertised as "locally grown" if it comes from up to 400 miles away
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Kansas City, Missouri
    Interesting info.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Allright... but can they do any woodworking at all?
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...