Working with Bloodwood

I have a chance to buy Bloodwood at a reasonable price. But reading about the wood on the net makes me nervous about the toxicity and possibly skin irritations. I would like to hear from others what their experience has been working with Bloodwood.

Thanks, DKT

I've turned it for chisel handles and have used it in furniture (as decoration) without any problems. But I know that some people react to bloodwood.

Mike

I work with blood wood regularly and have had no reactions that I remember... I do wear a smock when I turn that covers my entire upper body except for the hands and face... I should, but am not good to wear a mask, but so far no reactions.

Love the way blood wood turns and finishes.

I built a 22 cabinet kitchen out of Bloodwood. I don't wear a respirator and it never gave any problems. It's hard on planer knifes. I went through 4 set of knives on the kitchen. I couldn't use my wide belt sander on it but sanded well with an ROS and pad sander. It routes and shapes well. It takes a bigger that normal pilot hole for screws. Had no trouble with gluing.

There are some different species of Bloodwood. Do you know which one you're getting?