Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New shop in New Mexico

New shop in New Mexico

Well, after 40 years of living in Florida, it was time for a climate change for us. Only problem was how to take the 40x60 shop building with us. (I posted a shop tour of the old shop in '08.) But of course after having that shop for 14 years, there were many changes that would be nice to make. That was the only advantage to the coming move…

While waiting for the FL property to sell, we bought the new land and started building the new shop in the summer of 2011. In June I posted looking for ideas on how to build room dividers for the new place. The plan was to build another steel building, but this time divide the new building into three rooms, and insulate the crap out of it. We had a contractor to build the basic building, and then the wife and I finished off the inside. Thanks for all the ideas you guys gave us. It turns out that building the walls was actually quite easy, even for someone with little construction experience. (Also found out that there is a BIG difference between a contractor and a woodworker!) The building was completed and ready for the tools and other shop equipment to be move in by Oct of last year. The 36x60 building was divided into three rooms. The new shop is 36x36. A garage takes up 24x24, and the last 12x24 space is used for storage and an exercise room.

The FL place finally sold in February, and in March the movers showed up to load the shop equipment. Less than a week later we were back in NM to help get everything placed as I had planned. It was interesting figuring out how to make all machinery and cabinets fit into much smaller area, but I had spent a good part of the winter making sketches and had a pretty good idea of how it would work. It turns out that the paper plan worked pretty well, but there were many minor things to tweak after everything was in place. Actually, setting up the new shop was a blast. It was a lot of fun to organize, and then reorganize again and again. Finally, all is finished, and the shop is back in working order.

The new shop has a lot smaller open areas than the previous one, but now that I am mostly retired, how much room does one actually need? Next month the construction of the new observatory will start, so I'm sure the shop will seem a bit small then. So far all is working out well, but for sure the shop tweaking will go on forever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg  

8.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg   11.jpg   12.jpg  

Last edited by Tom Clark; 07-06-2012 at 11:53 AM.

hey tom, how did you make that disc sander plate..? looks like a twin to the old shop to me dont see how you are to short on space at all..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Looks great Tom! Really like all that space.

Great looking planes too. Tell me you have enough space at the new shop to fly right out of your yard
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Oh boy you had to post those pics now i have drooled all over my keyboard and have to clean it up.

Tom wonderful shop, as i looked through the pics i kept thinking ok show it to us where you got the metal working section then i saw it. Perfect shop in my opinion.

I like what you done with the benches coming away from the wall into the shop. Making workstations out of the benches. I think you giving away your prior work experiences that is very much toolroom thinking no? Really good idea. We all tend to fill the walls with workbenches but i think if one has the space your idea is brilliant reminder of how to do it efficiently.

Whats your ceiling height looks substantially lower than the prior shop. But i guess cooling a large space is simply waste.

The other thing that has me puzzled is why have you got two drill presses?

Thinking about your layout i like the workbench idea so much i think i am gonna steal that from you for my next shop. What do you think of back to back so one has shallow draws either side. Deep draws also seem to me to be a waste.

This brings up the question of optimal overall size of a shop. Usually most of us end up with a rectangle and the width causes compromises but i am now thinking if one can one needs to go more square or rather wide enough for machines and benches laid out like to have yours.

Thanks for sharing your new set up Tom its nice to have to pop in again. Stick around and show us some of your airplane projects please?
    cheers

That looks like a great space Tom, very well laid out too.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word boo. Robert Brault

Great looking layout Tom. Hope I can get mine to look half as organized as yours.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    hey tom, how did you make that disc sander plate..? looks like a twin to the old shop to me dont see how you are to short on space at all..
    Larry, The disk sander plate was band sawn from 1/2 cold rolled steel plate, the hub welded on, and then turned on a lathe to balance it. Made it about 30 years ago. Disks are held on with spray adhesive. Super handy shop tool. The other one came with the 6x48 belt sander. I keep fine grit on one and course on the other.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails disk1.jpg   disk2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Looks great Tom! Really like all that space.

Great looking planes too. Tell me you have enough space at the new shop to fly right out of your yard
    6 acres and and plenty of room - but the fabulous RC club flying field is only 15 minutes up the road. Far more fun to fly with the guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post

The other thing that has me puzzled is why have you got two drill presses?

Thinking about your layout i like the workbench idea so much i think i am gonna steal that from you for my next shop. What do you think of back to back so one has shallow draws either side. Deep draws also seem to me to be a waste.

This brings up the question of optimal overall size of a shop. Usually most of us end up with a rectangle and the width causes compromises but i am now thinking if one can one needs to go more square or rather wide enough for machines and benches laid out like to have yours.
    Two drill presses??? They were excess to my machine shop years ago. I keep one on high speed and the other on slow speed, because changing speeds is a pain in the butt.

Your drawer layout should be custom built to suit your shop. I make all my cabinets 24" deep (23.5 sides plus the face frame, and used to buy 22" drawer slides by the box for super cheap prices.

I seem to find ways to fill up the drawers. By the way, I hate tool cases because they waste so much room, so the often used tools are always out, and the occasionally used ones are all in a drawer, ready to use instantly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails router-drawer.jpg   carving.jpg   DSCN0085.jpg   clamp-drawer.jpg  
    Last edited by Tom Clark; 07-06-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    Your drawer layout should be custom built to suit your shop. I make all my cabinets 24" deep (23.5 sides plus the face frame, and used to buy 22" drawer slides by the box for super cheap prices.
    That's pretty much the size I landed on for my drawers. Just got 2 more boxes of 22" full extension 100# drawer slides delivered yesterday. $6.55 per set of slides.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    I seem to find ways to fill up the drawers. By the way, I hate tool cases because they waste so much room, so the often used tools are always out, and the occasionally used ones are all in a drawer, ready to use instantly.
    And oddly enough I'm planning a dump run tomorrow and am getting rid of a bunch of excess tool cases...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash