New shop in New Mexico

Hi,

Well since everybody else has said how great your shop is, how envious they are, how much room you have, etc. I won't say it---But Dang It I Am Sure Thinking It!

The model airplanes brought back fond memories of my childhood. When I was approx. 11 to 14 years old my dad and I built free flight airplanes. We won many contests---usually along the lines of longest time in the air with 20 seconds with the motor running. You had to trim the plane to offset the torque from the engine and have it make large circles when grabbing all of the altitude possible. When the engine and its torque stopped you were trying for the longest glide time possible (If the plane went out of sight the timing stopped.). This glide circle would be in the opposite direction to the circle created by the torque.

Radio control for a model airplane was only a science fiction dream in that era.

Our wingspans were in the 5 - 6 foot range. "Olsen" was one of the better commercial engines---I picked on that one because I cannot remember the names of the others. Dad made most of our power plants. He would carve wooden models, have them cast at a foundry, then machine them. As I recall, the only engine parts he purchased were the piston rings.

Two bandsaws are a great thing to have. Mine are (14" and 17") and I would love to have two more so I didn't have to stop and change blades. I run 3/4" blades on the 17" saw and usually 1/4" on the 14 incher.

I have a red oil can just like the one in the picture, under the "Engineer" sign on the wall. I have had it a bazillion years.

I have one 12" disc sander (Grizzly) and wish I had another for fine and coarse. My oldest son, Greg, did a favor for the owner of a machine shop. The machinist made me two, twelve inch, 5/8" thick (plus hubs) discs for future sanders when I get the time.

Like you, I have a comfortable chair in my shop. It is an upholstered office chair. However, yours looks much better than mine. I keep an old Tee shirt pulled over the back and another pulled over the seat to keep it clean (I pull the shirts off) for company). My legs can only take so much standing, even though I have floor pads.

I've got the floor mopped up from my drooling now so I shall bit you farewell and thanks for the pics.

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited: