Thread: Bed Hardware

GTA Ontario Canada

Bed Hardware

Ok Lee Valley has a bunch of bed hardware to chose from to get the headboard and two side boards to hold together.,40842&p=41269

Which of these have you found to work best.

I gotta help a friend today sort out his kids bed. He is in the same situation as me kids are off to school one needs to take a bed to their new digs.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Actually several friends have built a bed similar to this for their kids that have left for school. It gives room in the dorm for their desk and such.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

London, Ontario

I put bed bolts on my daughter's bed and I like them. Easy to attach, easy to tighten, and solid. The downside(?) is that you really need stub tenons, and you need to drill some pretty long holes accurately.

I have something like the Bed Rail Fasteners on my Queen bed and I don't like them, I find they squeak and wiggle. There is no way to adjust them.
    There's usually more than one way to do it... ........

I'm with Art - I've built six beds using bed bolts. He's right on all counts, including the need to accurately drill long holes. If you have a good doweling jig, it helps.

Delton, Michigan
    built one bed rob and used the bed locks, but the next one will be the bolts with tenons..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Amherst, New Hampshire
    I've made 4 beds so far. 3 with the mortise bed locks and 1 witht he mortise free ones. I'll never use anything but the mortise locks again. Th mortise free ones are too flimsy.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Tokyo Japan
    I used the hook type bed hardware, it sucks.
    If I make another bed, it will be with propper bed bolts.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
    mortise bedlocks. I used the screw on bed rail fasteners on a few grandkid beds, but the screws work loose. One I have changed over to the mortise type. If you use the mortise type, make sure they are not set below the surrounding wood. I had one with the slots, a 1/16" too deep ( hand chiseled ) and they won't lock up tight when assembled. I now set a laminate trimmer to the thickness of the steel and rout the recess. You can easily make a jig to speed things up too.
    hobby woodworking since 1972