Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splurged on a few new bits

Splurged on a few new bits

Got home from running errands today to find a package IN my mailbox from MLCS. I splurged on some new bits for my trim router. I was just going to get an 1/8" roundover and a flush trim bit, but decided on this instead:

You can see the flush trim, bottom bearing 1/4" shaft and 1/2" wide bit. 1" long business end.

The cute little box next to it has 1/8", 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" roundover bits. Obviously the 1/2" and likely the 3/8" won't see use in my little router, but it was a good deal so I splurged. I can use them in my 690 instead.

just under $40 for 5 bits, not too shabby. And it was free shipping, which arrived in just 2 days! Maybe not the snazziest bits, but they'll do ok by me for quite awhile.
    -Ned

That is a handy set Ned. MLCS does ship out really fast.

Ned, Congrats on the new bits. Now you need to run out to the shop and try them. Well thats what I do when a toy shows up.

MLCS? Translation?

Thanks,

Thanks, Alan. Got it bookmarked.

not woodworking

that quilt appears to be a yellow brick road pattern? is it one that your wife made? sure is sharp looking though// all the color in those batiks
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry,
    that quilt was a wedding present from 4 of my mother's friends. They've given all of each other's kids quilts over the years. it is one of 4 quilts that we sleep under. So far the LOML hasn't caught the quilting bug.

Greg, sign up for their 'email special' mailing list. every once in awhile their already decent prices get even better. This time, I must admit it was just what I said, a 'splurge' on my part.

there's my shop dawg, with a wider angle view. I don't know the name of the pattern, however.
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 03-17-2007 at 02:27 AM.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post

Greg, sign up for their 'email special' mailing list. every once in awhile their already decent prices get even better. This time, I must admit it was just what I said, a 'splurge' on my part.
    I agree. That is a good way to keep an eye out for some of their good deals.

I do not have any of their reqular bits but have some of their Katana bits and they are very good. I am going to give some of their other bits a shot also.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dunlap View Post
    Allen,

How do the Katana bits perform? I don't have any, but have thought seriously about getting some eventually. I started out with a basic Ryobi set at home, but they are wearing out after about 2 years of moderate use. If I don't go the Katana route, I'm thinking about eventually upgrading to Whiteside bits.
    Hi Matt - I've used some Katana's and do find them to be a "cut above" the standard MLCS bits, though not to the same standard as the Whitesides. If you keep your eyes peeled, it's possible to find the WS on sale at comparable (or lower) prices than the Katana, which don't go on sale often or too steaply. Holbren and Hartville offer good sales on the WS, Holbren offers free s/h to boot.

Another bit I find comparable to the Katana is the black Price Cutter line. The name dilutes the reputation IMO, but they're really a pretty decent import bit that are a step up from the standard import bits like MLCS, Woodcraft, Holbren's standard line, and Woodline (which are all at least as good as the Ryobi set IMO). Price Cutter is associated with Eagle America which are a top shelf US made bit that's more comparable to the WS...Price Cutter's standard import line are the green "Bargain Bits", which again, is a name that dilutes the image IMO. Price Cutter offers frequent sale incentives that can make the black bits a pretty good value on a good intermediate bit....not too many players in that niche AFAIK.

Enjoy your new bits Ned!
    Got Wood?