Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: silly question?

Paynton Saskatchewan Canada

silly question?

Ok everyone I got a silly question.

I was working in my shop yesterday standing at my sander in a cloud of dust, when my brother-in-law came in. After a short discussion about what I was building and for who, he looked around the shop with a strange look on his face. Je then turns and says "for all the things you've had in this shop you'd think you would have built a chair for in here by now."

I don't do a lot of sitting when I'm in the shop so it has never really crossed my mind to have a spot for someone to sit. So back to the silly question... Do you all have chairs or something for guests or yourself in the shop?
    Measure once cut twice.... NO Wait!!!

I don't have chair or even stool but I am considering one. Often after being on my feet for a few hours working in the shop, I need to sit down and retreat to the house to do it. On those occasions, just 5 minutes off my feet relieve them and I can go back to work.

My shop is in the garage, so no fancy digs for me. I have a stool, the first one I ever made about 30 years ago, but that's for me. Any guests get the lawn chairs, which are actually pretty good.

Reno NV
    I've got a couple of cheap barstools I got from the local OSH many years ago. They've done duty as make shift sawhorses, stands for spray painting objects, welding supports, step stools, backing for hole drilling. I even sit on them. But they aren't all that comfy. I do have a computer in the garage I use for some of my electronic projects and will generally sit down while I'm working on electronic projects, or model building and such.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    I also have a stool. have had a chair,but they take up to much room. Now if i had a office in the shop, i'd have a nice chair or two.

Kansas City, Missouri
    I have a couple of stools that fold up and have a couple of lawn chairs out there too.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    I have a stool that gets used when I scroll which is rarely. The rest of the time it gets moved from here to there or even put in the house. I have no time for sitting around when I'm in the shop. Give me another decade or so and I may sing a different tune
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Escondido, CA
    I think the point was chairs for guests. Whole other kettle of fish. No chairs for guests. Can't sand sitting down.

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    I have chairs and bench's for people and me. I can't stand for very long without a lot of pain in back so my work chair has wheels and is rolled all over the shop to be able to work at all.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Delton, Michigan
    i work standing up mostly so as for use in the shop, no but i have entertained several in the shop or the office area.. so i have two chair for quest plus my chair in the office and i have three more stool types that will work when i have friends stop to visit..its usually the coolest place to be when visitors come..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!