silly question?

I think I'm going to build a REAL uncomfortable stool. No back slightly to tall, no place to set you feet hahahahahahaha

I like the way you think. :D

I've got a couple of swivel-top stools in my shop. The first was from Harbor Freight, and it has too little padding on the seat. The second was on sale from Woodcraft, and it's acceptably comfortable. I seldom have guests in the shop, but the stool is for me to sit on when taking breaks, or when I simply need to sit and ponder a design/plan/approach/blank piece of wood.

LOML bought me a real nice swivel stool several years ago which I occasionally use when carving or sharpening or some other detail work, but usually my Granddaughter sits on it when she comes out to look at "Popaw's Toys". She's 2 1/2 now and really curious about how things are done. I'm gonna have a lot of fun for several years. :D:thumb:

I don't have room for chairs in my shop, plus if people come in and sit, they distract me and I don't get much work done... I did recently take a bar stool out for my resting sometimes... but I find it's in the way more than useful... I have a good friend that always brings his stool when he comes over, but that's for his own comfort as he's a little heavy and his knees are beginning to feel the toll of weight and age....

No guests watching me work in the shop. That would be too distracting. If a guest is over and we are in the shop talking, it's usually for just a few minutes, then back in the house where it is comfortable. I do have one stool for me when I'm working out a problem on paper or taking a rest. Also one broken chair my wife picked up on the side of the road that I've played at repairing. ;) Jim.

I have a chair and a stool, but visitors don't get to watch me work. It's too distracting, and that makes it potentially dangerous, so visitors either get conversation, or 'show & tell.'

I have a stool that stays by a workbench--used as a stool for me or as a place to rest tools or supplies. I welcome visitors to my shop. I don't hesitate to tell them if/when I need quiet. I believe this goes back to giving demonstrations/lessons during my 42 year teaching career. I have an old chair that guests can use. I often use to for a place to think things out or have a cold drink (diet pop or water) or a cup of coffee. And yes, I have been known to use a cleared bench top or the chair for a nap.

One stool, on casters, with a large screw so it can go up and down. Took it from my office years ago when we upgraded to a pneumatic up and down. I use it for actions that require me to be fairly low, and sometimes when I need to sit and think.

Jim, as long as I lie flat on my back I find it surprisingly comfortable. I don't consider turning on my side. At first I thought I might get a carpet remnant to cover the bench, but I decided I didn't need it.

I have one of our breakfast table chairs in my shop. Its an all wood basic chair. I dont just go to my shop to do things, there are times its a great get away to just sit and ponder and stay out the way. My shop is well insulated so its pretty cool and comfortable and with aircon can be made more so if i choose. No visitors chair. There are times when i will also just stop working and sit and think or get over my own stupidity before going on.

Ron, I can go to sleep almost anyplace and do it quickly. However, I am on the thin side (translation = scrawny) and have NO padding. So I guess sleeping on a bench top is excluded from my "almost anyplace" list.

Enjoy,

JimB

Jim, I immediately thought back to an incident when I was in the navy... I'm abut 6'1" tall and went in the navy at 133 lbs... I did gain a few pounds in boot camp, but was a pretty skinny sailor... we were painting out the sleeping quarters one port period and had all the bunks down... when we finished, near taps, there was not place to sleep, so we all gathered our blankets and spread them on top of the stainless steel lockers that were under the bunks... at reveille I could hardly move, don't know if it was the stainless steel bed which was cold in San Francisco, or maybe the paint fumes, but there was a pretty sick crew that morning, all stiff and achy along with a pretty severe headache.... I like a firm bed, but it has to have a little cushion because even at 195, I still don't have a lot of cushion on the old bones.

Last edited:
My shop has several stools, mostly to allow being seated at the bench for whatever. These old legs need all the help they can get. Also for the converience of visitors-----sometimes at the end of the day one must indulge in a "red solo cup event" being as the small fridge is close. For such an occasion one must provide seating---nuff said.