Thread: Finished a few projects using Mezerna compounds

Finished a few projects using Mezerna compounds

Have not had a chance to do much with woodturning lately but today I managed to complete a few that have been sitting for several weeks.

Pic 1-2 - Large Red Euc vase - 15" tall x 6 1/4 wide - multiple coats of my made up DO mixture - dried - buffed with Mezerna compounds - Done

Pic 3-4 - Smaller unknown wood vessel - 6" tall x 5" wide - same finish

Pic 5-6 - Smaller Mesquite vessel - 6" tall x 4" wide - same finish

I Finished all of these the same way using multiple coats of varnish/BLO/MS mixture - letting dry 24hrs between coats - 3-4 coats then let dry for a couple weeks (due to work otherwise 1 week would have worked) - rubbed with medium and fine micromesh - buffed with Med and Fine Mezerna. First time I have done the finishing this simply but it seems to work out very well as long as you have sanded into the higher grits - They were all sanded 220 then the oil applied- 2 coats then the final coat wet sanded thru 600 plus - wiping clean between grits and left to dry (no slurry-grain filling).
    I really like the Mezerna compounds - anyone else using them ? and how are you using them ?

Thanks Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large-1.jpg   Large-3.jpg   large-6.jpg   large-7.jpg   Large-8.jpg  

Large-9.jpg  
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Looking good Dan. I had never heard of Menzerna. How is it different from Tripoli and White Diamond?
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Interesting... you mean Menzerna? Like the car polishes? Do they have a wood line or were you using the car polishes? I know their car polish is high quality.... slightly overpriced, but certainly better quality than the MUCH cheaper polishes you find at every auto parts and Walmart store everywhere.

Yep my spelling is off I guess - Menzerna Compounds in 1/2 blocks I bought awhile back online somewhere. The I went to stew mac website and bought some 16-ply canton-weave cotton wheels 12". I like the compounds over the tripoli-WD compounds but ive read articles where some people use them in combinations so I guess its what you like. I have the Tripoli and WD and have used them to but I find these compounds go along way and create a very nice finish.
    It could be the combination of the new wheels (material) and the compounds together so I cant say which is better but with the setup I just really like the results over all.
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Menzerna does has a line of wood finishing compounds. I don't do a lot of wet rubbing, but it is my material of choice if somebody wants the grand piano type finish. Most of my furniture is dry sanded to 600-800 then rubbed with a towel, after the finish is dry but before it is fully cured/hardened.

See my web page on achieving various sheens, which includes sources for Menzerna compounds.
    www.solowoodworker.com/wood/sheen.html
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Looks goos man. I hever heard of it ether, but might have to give it a shot.

That looks real good, Dan.

For those who were wondering, Menzerna compounds are very popular with guitar builders. I believe Grizzly sells the compounds, and Stewart MacDonald (stewmac.com) probably has them, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I got mine at the website below in 1/2 bars - medium and fine as I remember - Read thru Charlies link im sure it is where I got interested in trying it out.

http://www.homesteadfinishingproduct...bingpolish.htm