Thread: My First 30.06 Parker

My First 30.06 Parker

Rifle Cartridge using a Gold Half Twist Cigar kit.
    Have always been using Cross refills where you don't have to do any modification of the finial and clips.
    Still have a lot of work to do at modifying a rifle clip with antler finial to fit the cigar upper tube.

Les

Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

That's great... thanks for the inspiration... I've often wondered if we could use other kits in lieu of the cross/slimline.. I've used the Euro tops a few times, but haven't the cigar yet.... did you have to drill out the nib to make it a little larger to accommodate the tip of the Parker refill?

If I may, I'm going to copy your pictures to use as go-by's when I get a chance to give this a try.... I have a bunch of antler and a half bag of 30-06 brass just waiting for me to get inspired again on the pens.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Thanks Chuck,

Yes, the bullet nib has to be drilled out larger using a #36 bit to accommodate the Parker refill.
    The interesting part is making an Antler finial and modifying a 7mm slim rifle clip to fit the cigar tube in stead of using the Cigar kit finial and clip.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    That's great... thanks for the inspiration... I've often wondered if we could use other kits in lieu of the cross/slimline.. I've used the Euro tops a few times, but haven't the cigar yet.... did you have to drill out the nib to make it a little larger to accommodate the tip of the Parker refill?

If I may, I'm going to copy your pictures to use as go-by's when I get a chance to give this a try.... I have a bunch of antler and a half bag of 30-06 brass just waiting for me to get inspired again on the pens.
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Les,
    Is that one of the replica kits or did you actually use a 30-06 casing... I have a bag of new casings that I bought last year to do some cartridge pens and make my own tubes for some overlength 7mm tubes... I also have a few of the studs for making your own finials... might be a trick to doing the antler though.... Probably not sure if I would use the rifle cartridge... they look great on your pens, but not a preference for me to work with.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.

Ha!! That is spot on Les!!! Good use of a BAR round. Your dipping method is reallt amazing and I like the fact you have an unending antler supply! Can the antler be stabilized?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Beautiful Les.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Chuck,
    I use actual casings and projectiles for all my Rifle Cartridge pens.
    The replica kits out there don't even come close to the authentic ones.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Les,
    Is that one of the replica kits or did you actually use a 30-06 casing... I have a bag of new casings that I bought last year to do some cartridge pens and make my own tubes for some overlength 7mm tubes... I also have a few of the studs for making your own finials... might be a trick to doing the antler though.... Probably not sure if I would use the rifle cartridge... they look great on your pens, but not a preference for me to work with.

Thanks Jim,

I believe antler can be stabilized, but I found there is no reason to stabilize deer, moose or elk antler when you use Med CA to finish after turning.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Ha!! That is spot on Les!!! Good use of a BAR round. Your dipping method is reallt amazing and I like the fact you have an unending antler supply! Can the antler be stabilized?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Elm View Post
    Chuck,
    I use actual casings and projectiles for all my Rifle Cartridge pens.
    The replica kits out there don't even come close to the authentic ones.

Les
    I have to agree... the replica kits look like replicas to me... I'll have to give a try to see if I can replicate what you've done here - some day...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN