Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HYDRATE

HYDRATE

I just want to warn all you weekend warriors who are braving the 100 degrees and humidity, do not think for a second skipping some water breaks are ok.
    Dont forget to take some cooling off time and keep drinking water.

I got 3 hours of shop time in this morning, managed to get all the spanish cedar for 2 chairs planed down and sized to length and width. Kept the air on, and alot of h2o
    Human Test Dummy

I dehydrated severely in '77 in Oklahoma. I was admitted with severe dehydration and double pneumonia. Dr talked with my dad and told him to bring a casket with him to OK. I had arteries that were collapsed. It has been with me every hot day of my life. I overheated Wed. Spent a couple hours in the bathtub soaking cool water and drinking gatorade. Still feeling it today. Been watering and feeding livestock early mornings and late evenings. Been on survival mode for the past week. Lou Ann says we are putting in central air in the near future. Be careful all, it is nothing to play around with.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Good advice Allen. The only thing for me is i hate water.I no I no i should drink it any way but it makes me sick. Now i can and i do drink gatorade, and some juices. O and WAY two much coca cola. None of that beer stuff though.

Started a deck rebuilding project early last week. It's been "on hold" for the past three days. When it gets up to 90° by mid morning, I just stay in the house. I haven't done any outdoor stuff all week. The deck materials were delivered Tuesday, and I haven't even cut the bands on the pallet yet.

Supposed to cool off next week, mid-week. Maybe then...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Well, We aren't going to get the same humidity as the rest of you, but it will be up around 100 today. Just got done spending about 3.5 hours working in the garden. Still have a bunch more todo, but I think I'll wait until tomorrow to tackle the rest of it. Should be able to be ok in the shop with a fan going in the shade for a few hours. Then it's time to lounge in the hillbilly cool tub with a cool drink.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    In Arizona it is a way of life every where you go folks offer you a bottle of water I drink easily a gallon per day as does LOML. I suffer heat stroke in California once while doing a job out in Victorville. I was actually unconscious for 2 day and it took over a month to get right, to this day heat effect me so please stay hydrated.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

The dry heat would get me with how quickly water evaporates. Not having to changing shirts a couple or three times a day, I wouldn't have any way to gauge water loss. I was at the Grand Canyon several years ago and got dehydrated because I didn't realize how much I had been sweating, so I didn't drink enough. When I busy I can easily go through a gallon of water. Like a lot of people this past week I've been staying in the house.

brent, when the sun was out here before, it was 95, and I looked up the humidty was at 71% and rising.
    tough day.
    Human Test Dummy

I, too, have been hospitalized with heat exhaustion - twice. It hits 90-95º and I head for air conditioning. Each exposure makes one more sensitive. Your body chemistry gets really whacked out when you get dehydrated. Nothing to mess with.

And a word about water. Like Don, here in the southwest we rarely venture forth without a water bottle in hand and they are readily offered wherever we go. Kidney stones are a part of my family history. Dehydration is really hard on kidneys. Kidneys need clean, clear water to function properly. Not coffee, Coke, Gatorade, etc. Water - clean clear pure water. I had to learn to drink it. It begins with accepting you have to and then finding a way. Kidney stones are no fun.

Dialysis is even less so and it is a slow and ugly path to death. There is no reversal once you are on dialysis. Quality of life descends like dropping of a cliff. Nothing to mess with, especially when the solution is easy, affordable and available. Learn to drink water. You need it to flush out the coffee, Coke, Gatorade, etc. The kidneys have to filter that stuff out before they can filter your blood. Don't rely on them for re-hydration.

Yep, soapbox. But I have been there twice and I have watched two people die having suffered through dialysis. One a very good friend and another a delightful parishioner, both of whom died way too soon.

Rant off, but easily re-ignited.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Yep, word on the flip side, just as bad as not staying hydrated is Water Poisoning. I suffered a mild case in the 90's when I was working outside in AZ all day, didn't eat anything all day but drank about 2.5g of water. Balance in everything