Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TS Overarm Dust Collection - Build or buy?

TS Overarm Dust Collection - Build or buy?

I look at something like this, and I become convinced it can't be that hard to build one.

Just wondering what the collective has to say about it. I'd sure like to have some overarm dust collection, but don't really want to dump hundreds of dollars into it. Or should I?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t10113.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	68780
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

My 2 cents, but I find those things get in the way and then they don's get used. Waste of good money. I have a deflector that sends the dust downward. I get a little on the table but not enough to get my knickers in a knot. Butchered the manufactures guard. Add a piece of plastic shaped like a hot dog.

I have a picture somewhere but not on this computer, if you are interested.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    My 2 cents, but I find those things get in the way and then they don's get used. Waste of good money. I have a deflector that sends the dust downward. I get a little on the table but not enough to get my knickers in a knot. Butchered the manufactures guard. Add a piece of plastic shaped like a hot dog.

I have a picture somewhere but not on this computer, if you are interested.
    Very interested in a picture. I find mine sends a buch of dust over the top, and I'd like to catch it, or do something with it.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

i would like to see the picture as well carol.. and i get to much on top as well..but i have no guard on it at all now..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I'm following with interest as I'm thinking about building one for my saw.

I'll see if I can get a picture or a link to the article. I have a Woodsmith book about table saws and it has what looks to be a real effective dust collection system that is simple to build. It looks like it would seldom be in the way as well. It's my next project !!!

If I can't figure out how to get a link to you I'll photocopy and mail/fax it to you.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I do almost all of my ripping on the Band Saw now. For me an 8 ft board is a really long one.

The overarm DC that I tried for the Table Saw bugged me. It was too awkward, restricted my vision, and took up a lot of room. Rockler, graciously took it back. That made a lot of points for Rockler in my mind.

I know that Glenn uses his (PennState I believe) some of the time. However, I am not sure what for.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 07-08-2012 at 11:27 PM.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Well, lets try some pictures.

Name:	Hot Dog Guard 1 resized.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	68798

Name:	Hot dog guard 2 resized.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	68799

Name:	Hot dog guard 3 resized.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	68800

I took the factory guard and removed the plastic shroud. Then I cut half the metal off the back end. Then I cut a piece of 3/8" Acrylic [that's what I had on hand] and screwed in on the top of the metal piece. I also added a rubber bumper [I think from Radio Shack] because it wanted to bounce. That dampened that. I replaced what ever hardware there was on it and added a machine screw and plastic knob [from Rockler likely]. I can flip the thing up to get at the bolt to loosen it to remove the thing.

It simply deflect sawdust downward out of my face. That was the goal. With DC on the saw and even a zero clearance throat plate, almost all of the sawdust stays below the table. I am not so fastidious that I am trying to make a surgical theatre of cleanliness. It IS a shop and I am happy with this low cost, dirt simple solution.

A friend named it the hot dog guard because she saw the plastic as hot dog shaped. Works for me.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

your little solution is what I was looking for for a long time.
    I hated cutting any lumber on the TS, especially PT pine as it shot the dust right into my face.
    I was wearing the trend mask all the time and it started to become a real headache.
    Just diverting the dust back down to the table is a great solution.
    Human Test Dummy