Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockler Shelf Pin Jig - Upgrade

Rockler Shelf Pin Jig - Upgrade

I don't do much with shelf pins so this is not a thread started by a seasoned veteran of this sort of work. After using a pegboard version with reasonable success, I spent a gift card at Rockler and got their jig on sale. The jig is 1/8" material and doesn't prove reliable after more than a half dozen holes or so using their self-centering drill bit that comes with the jig. The bit housing heats up enough to melt and stick to the plastic jig. While not fatal to the jig, it certainly could be if one does not pay careful attention .

Anyway, I got through the project and hung the Rockler jig on the wall till next time. A while later I needed to do a few shelf pin holes again. I was going to grind down a router temple bushing to accomidate the 1/8" material but, chose to glue a piece of 1/4" ply to the existing jig to add thickness. I also went ahead and countersunk the connector-bolt heads. Leaving them proud never did make much sense to me .

Our favorite gluing advice site 'this to that' recommended silicon rubber adhesive for plastic to plywood. I had some handy and so went to work. Used the original jig as a guide for drilling the plywood add-on (after the glue had set of course). The results are slower than with their drill bit but, no melting, and a smoother hole entrance so, I'm happy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shelf Pin Jig Upgrade (1).jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	68793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shelf Pin Jig Upgrade (2).jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	68794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shelf Pin Jig Upgrade (3).jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	68795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shelf Pin Jig Upgrade (4).jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	68796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shelf Pin Jig Upgrade (5).jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	68797
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-09-2012 at 12:46 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I've got that same jig Glenn, and never had any problems with heat on the bit. I haven't used a whole lot, maybe 10 cabinets total. I wonder if there's a problem with your bit?

I use a fresh piece of pegboard whenever I make a new set of cabinets, hasnt failed me once.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb Taylor View Post
    I've got that same jig Glenn, and never had any problems with heat on the bit. I haven't used a whole lot, maybe 10 cabinets total. I wonder if there's a problem with your bit?
    I'm thinking there has got to be. It just doesn't make sense that they would be able to sell many of theses as it is .
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I've use mine several time & no problems either.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I have that used that jig on countless projects over the last few years. Never had a problem with the jig as you described.
    James

As a novice that has never had any jig of this type, I'd like to learn something here. I would have been leary of running a bit into the "plastic" jig. Would have not thought about heat but more likely missing a little and making the hole in the jig out of round. Would it be wise to use a center punch to mark the center using the jig, then remove the jig and drill? Or, is that just introducing an unnecessary step that may lead to more error?
    "We the People ......"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    As a novice that has never had any jig of this type, I'd like to learn something here. I would have been leary of running a bit into the "plastic" jig. Would have not thought about heat but more likely missing a little and making the hole in the jig out of round. Would it be wise to use a center punch to mark the center using the jig, then remove the jig and drill? Or, is that just introducing an unnecessary step that may lead to more error?
    This jig uses a special bit. The bit is inside a holder that fits the hole. It is spring loaded that self centers the bit in the hole.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5911

There is a video on Rockler's site that shows how to use the jig with the matching self centering bit.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...6&site=ROCKLER

Each end of the jig has smaller holes that match the bit & shelf pins size being used so you can do long runs with accuracy. The jig comes in a couple of sizes 5mm or 1/4" & comes with matching bit. You can also buy replacement bits if needed.
    Last edited by James Lord; 05-20-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    James

Here is a shot of what happened to the guide holes where the bit got hot enough to stick to the plastic. I have not such problem with the router as the collar remains cool during operation. I obviously received a defective bit and it is important to note that many others here have this jig and bit and have no problem. If I had not had a problem I would still opt for the thicker phenolic versions (the Rockler jig is 1/8" thick plastic) sold by various makers if I were doing it again ;-).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shelf pin jig failure.jpg  
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Ive had mine for several years now. Never an issue. All Ive had to do is replace the drill bit, the vix style bit that comes with it has worked very well. Sounds as if something is binding on the mechanicals of the bit itself. I have drilled hundreds if not a few thousand shelf holes with mine.
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest