Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wood siding???

wood siding???

what would those of you suggest for wood siding if you were to cut your own form the trees on a property.. we need to get 1600 square foot of a 6 or 7" reveal horizontal siding.. my first thought would be tuplip popular because of close grain and non spliting..but i am not sure of the longivity..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    If you can get it Cedar or cypress. If not that than maybe redwood or even white oak.

cedar would be my choice. There are homes around here with cedar clapboards that have been around since the 1700's. My house has cedar clapboards. I replace the trim from time to time but the siding is still perfect.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Longevity depends on how and what finish you finish with. Where they are and how long it is going to take for them to dry out after a rain. I haven't seen any of the ceder from the 1700's but I have pealed off a ton of pine ones.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

they are talking just a stain chuck.. and we dont have cedar or redwood in the woods folks.. but maybe its not a savings to cut logs and have it cut into sideing???

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Larry my brother in pa built a chicken coupe out of maple 30+ years ago. Never put any kind of finish on it but thompson sealer. i seen it just the past week when i was up there and it was still in good shape. Don't know what kind of maple it was, but it has held up well in that ares.

Well Larry my old man used to go find big pine trees that had been blown down or dropped for some other reason. He would cut 18" chunks and take them to our local shingle mill. after a year or two he had enough shingles to reside the family camp. That was better than 20 years ago might even be going on 30. All we did before installing them was to dip them in Thompson. I also can tell ya that stuff aint what it used to be.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Larry my brother in pa built a chicken coupe out of maple 30+ years ago. Never put any kind of finish on it but thompson sealer. i seen it just the past week when i was up there and it was still in good shape. Don't know what kind of maple it was, but it has held up well in that ares.
    hey steve what dimension did he cut it? was it put on like board and batten or horizontal? and chuck, whats your thoughts of cedar shakes for the siding?

While this topic has come up, i would like to ask if one had a choice between siding and brick living in the North with snowy winters, what would it be and why? Then if siding came out tops what type of siding would one use?

Sorry for the detour Larry just using the opportunity to learn a little. Could be relevant to my future home.
    cheers

brick doesnt need to be stained or treated!!! and is solid, old home then you have insulation factor, wood is warmer than masonry but masonry is cooler in summer..the old vrs new rob needs to be factored in..