Mileage logs

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Anybody have to report your mileage to the IRS? What software are your using. I am not liking the manual jot it down either in a notebook or one a spreadsheet. Gotta be an easier way. Some software out there but I'd sure like to hear from folks actually using it.

Carol,
if you have an iPhone, check out BizXpenseTracker (I normally avoid anything that uses the term 'Biz' too)... despite the name, the app has loads of customization available, and it can even fill in the location for you using GPS for mileage tracking. You can easily input expense receipts with the camera on your phone and it can export via email to your computer.

I also use a spreadsheet in Excel. I just create a form and keep track of who, what, where, when and number of miles. At the end of the year I just look at the total miles and report that.
I know you want a better way so when you find it....I want to know as well. :)

Well, I liked the auto geo function on the phone apps, but I generally don't like phone apps because the print is too darn small! Last night I built a spreadsheet with various functions built in. Little more tweaking on that as IRS friendly categories are discovered. As I studied the various products in this line, it occurred to me that nearly all of them were nothing more than a spreadsheet behind a 'user friendly' [right!] interface. Then I started to play with the logic functions on the spread sheet and away we go.

Thanks for hanging with me as I noodled this thing through.