Finish Challenges in Single Digit Humidity

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Temperatures well over a hundred. Humidity in single digits. Peak temperature in the shop 125º+. Working at 5AM with temperature in middle 70º's. That's the situation.

Here is the problem. I have four shelves that were stained too dark for the customer's taste. BB with poplar ledgers on both edges. Minwax Red Mahogany stain over Minwax Wood Conditioner, then sanding sealer, and 6-8 coats of NC lacquer.

I can bring the shelves into air conditioning over night to cool the wood, but the work has to be done in the shop. Don't really want to sand the finish off, but I will if I have to. Might be less messy [and less expensive] than lacquer thinner.

But what are your suggestions? Any gotcha's I need to know about before proceeding, given the temperature and humidity circumstances.

so these are already lacquered carol?

i am sure you have weighed the possibilities but what about remaking them?? by the time you get your finish off to lighten the color you might be further ahead to remake them..???

Last edited:
It's a thought, but I am gonna try sanding in the morning. Only have to do the top side and edges. Worst thing that can happen is I have to remake them! It's BB ply so the outer play is thick enough.