Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Video shop tour

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    719

    Video shop tour

    spent a few hours cleaning up my last mess, shot a video with a cell phone camera.
    tour #3, longer video, slowed my walking speed down.
    Last edited by Bryan Cowing; 07-14-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    hobby woodworking since 1972

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Amherst, New Hampshire
    Posts
    10,600
    Incredible shop Bryan.

    Showing my ignorance a little bit. What is a scoring saw?
    Faith, Hope & Charity

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Incredible shop Bryan.

    Showing my ignorance a little bit. What is a scoring saw?
    Saw has a second motor powering twin 4" blades , for splinter / chip free cuts. Scores 1/8 deep before the main blade.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	640x480__0002_blades.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	68838....When cutting veneers, melamine!
    hobby woodworking since 1972

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    GTA Ontario Canada
    Posts
    12,247
    Thank you Bryan.

    I for one have a few questions to ask.....

    I did not realise you had a belt sander as well as the i think its called stroke sander with the adjustable table. Having viewed many of your postings i have only ever noticed you using the stroke sander and you had me sold on the merits of that machine being the be all and end all of sanding.

    Is it a substitute for having a wide belt sander and if not why? Why do you have both if you dont mine my asking. Note i am nowhere near your level so i am looking to understand the different purposes. You seem to get so much use and more out of the stroke sander and the fact that it has that adjustable table. While on that topic could one say put a object as in piece of furniture under the stroke sander at full extension so as to be able to say refinish the top of say a bedside table without having to remove the top or as an alternative to using a handheld tool or do i have the totally incorrect idea about it. You have had me thinking that with its adjustable table as a feature on its own even for hobbiests as we get older this would be a great tool given its adjustability in working height.

    Next i see you have a chop saw situated on the table saw. Is this a "semi permanent position" and if so how does it factor into your opertating procedure.


    Jim Bradley has brought up the issue of task lighting and my observation is that you a specific task light for just about every operation on every machine. The video dwell time did not permit seeing which lamp fixture you are using all over the place is there a specific one you use or is it whatever you get your hands on. Would you share a few picks of how you have these mounted in their various locations please. I am nothing but frustrated with my Delta magnetic base type.

    Last point do you find with the density you have going in your shop that you can work without frustration with regards to handling material around the machines.

    I have recently decluttered my shop of "good junk" and the difference is amazing. I dont have anywhere near the machines you have but it has been like a breath of fresh air having some space to move in. I have seen your work and been wondering watching the video how you get buy. Where do you keep your wood or do you only procure wood on a project specific basis.?

    Thanks for the video. Would have liked it to be more wide angle and dwell longer. There is a ton to learn from a guy like you. What you have forgotten i still have to get to.
    cheers

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Thank you Bryan.

    I for one have a few questions to ask.....

    I did not realise you had a belt sander as well as the i think its called stroke sander with the adjustable table. Having viewed many of your postings i have only ever noticed you using the stroke sander and you had me sold on the merits of that machine being the be all and end all of sanding.

    Is it a substitute for having a wide belt sander and if not why? Why do you have both if you dont mine my asking. Note i am nowhere near your level so i am looking to understand the different purposes. You seem to get so much use and more out of the stroke sander and the fact that it has that adjustable table. While on that topic could one say put a object as in piece of furniture under the stroke sander at full extension so as to be able to say refinish the top of say a bedside table without having to remove the top or as an alternative to using a handheld tool or do i have the totally incorrect idea about it. You have had me thinking that with its adjustable table as a feature on its own even for hobbiests as we get older this would be a great tool given its adjustability in working height.

    Next i see you have a chop saw situated on the table saw. Is this a "semi permanent position" and if so how does it factor into your opertating procedure.


    Jim Bradley has brought up the issue of task lighting and my observation is that you a specific task light for just about every operation on every machine. The video dwell time did not permit seeing which lamp fixture you are using all over the place is there a specific one you use or is it whatever you get your hands on. Would you share a few picks of how you have these mounted in their various locations please. I am nothing but frustrated with my Delta magnetic base type.

    Last point do you find with the density you have going in your shop that you can work without frustration with regards to handling material around the machines.

    I have recently decluttered my shop of "good junk" and the difference is amazing. I dont have anywhere near the machines you have but it has been like a breath of fresh air having some space to move in. I have seen your work and been wondering watching the video how you get buy. Where do you keep your wood or do you only procure wood on a project specific basis.?

    Thanks for the video. Would have liked it to be more wide angle and dwell longer. There is a ton to learn from a guy like you. What you have forgotten i still have to get to.
    The stroke is good for large surfaces, but no good for assembled raised panel doors. I was building my 2nd kitchen ( 1990) and wanted something better than the shop made stroke I had. I found out the belt would slip down and gouge out a thickness of the belt in a wink. In 2004 I was building fireplace mantles, so got the 25" double drum to sand the raised panel, etc. The 6x108 belt sander was an upgrade from the 6x80 asian I had. To get a longer sanding area for the edges of the raised panel doors I was building. Sanding table has 27" working height and 43" from the floor with the table folded. Furniture could be blocked up off the floor. The stroke like mine is no longer made so used would be the only way to get one.

    chop saw is semi permanent, but since I rarely use that end of the saw table, thats usually where it sits. I sometimes store it under the saw table or the stroke table.

    Lighting, ceiling at 13 ft and have 4 twin 8' tubes so had to add some plug in 4' , one over the TS, 2 over the stroke / work bench. Also have several magnetic deltas and a few cheap ajustable arm/spring types . I like them best cause you can get a big twist bulb in them and they can be wall mounted.
    I can't realistically build kitchens anymore, run out of room fast. Single projects, not too bad. And the old Unisaw doubles as a work table / finish table once the plywood top is on it, also the router table can be used to sit stuff on it. I just got the big bandsaw so have not built any big projects yet to see how it will affect work flow. Wood is on wall racks or behind the TS. Maybe you should go over the pics in my old shop tour may help answer questions.
    If I ever get a new digital SLR Canon t4i rebel ( drooling ) I could shoot HD 1080p wide angle video with my 10-22mm lens
    hobby woodworking since 1972

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    GTA Ontario Canada
    Posts
    12,247
    Thanks Bryan, yup i think thats a pretty good justification for the new camera.
    cheers

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oak Harbor Washington on Whidbey Island
    Posts
    3,134
    WOW nice looking shop where do you assemble projects?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    Posts
    4,944
    Hi,

    Great shop.

    Your shop and mine have some things in common. We both have tools and NO automobiles are ever going to get in there.

    Enjoy,

    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Hi,

    Great shop.

    Your shop and mine have some things in common. We both have tools and NO automobiles are ever going to get in there.

    Enjoy,

    JimB
    I can bring in my Ranger inside in the winter by rolling the planer and TS to one side. Not sure about the F150 crew though.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0744-1.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	68867
    hobby woodworking since 1972

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    WOW nice looking shop where do you assemble projects?
    On the stroke sander table, or with a plywood top on the Unisaw. Router table gets double duty too. The stroke table ( 36" x 97" ) allows anything under 27" high to lay under the belt , front edge to the drywall is 48". Stroke table can be folded down so the unit is 20" out from the wall.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5146-001.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	68868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4892-001.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	68869
    Last edited by Bryan Cowing; 07-12-2012 at 08:20 AM.
    hobby woodworking since 1972

Similar Threads

  1. Fast Cap Video Tour
    By glenn bradley in forum New Tools
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-15-2014, 02:34 PM
  2. Video Tour of Whiteside Machine
    By glenn bradley in forum New Tools
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2013, 12:50 PM
  3. My first video shop tour
    By Alan Bienlein in forum Shop Tours
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 12:56 AM
  4. BG Artforms Pens Video Tour
    By Wes Bischel in forum General Woodturning Q&A
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 09:45 PM
  5. My first video shop tour
    By sascha gast in forum Shop Tours
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 01:03 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •