Video shop tour

Thank you Bryan.

I for one have a few questions to ask.....

I did not realise you had a belt sander as well as the i think its called stroke sander with the adjustable table. Having viewed many of your postings i have only ever noticed you using the stroke sander and you had me sold on the merits of that machine being the be all and end all of sanding.

Is it a substitute for having a wide belt sander and if not why? Why do you have both if you dont mine my asking. Note i am nowhere near your level so i am looking to understand the different purposes. You seem to get so much use and more out of the stroke sander and the fact that it has that adjustable table. While on that topic could one say put a object as in piece of furniture under the stroke sander at full extension so as to be able to say refinish the top of say a bedside table without having to remove the top or as an alternative to using a handheld tool or do i have the totally incorrect idea about it. You have had me thinking that with its adjustable table as a feature on its own even for hobbiests as we get older this would be a great tool given its adjustability in working height.

Next i see you have a chop saw situated on the table saw. Is this a "semi permanent position" and if so how does it factor into your opertating procedure.

Jim Bradley has brought up the issue of task lighting and my observation is that you a specific task light for just about every operation on every machine. The video dwell time did not permit seeing which lamp fixture you are using all over the place is there a specific one you use or is it whatever you get your hands on. Would you share a few picks of how you have these mounted in their various locations please. I am nothing but frustrated with my Delta magnetic base type.

Last point do you find with the density you have going in your shop that you can work without frustration with regards to handling material around the machines.

I have recently decluttered my shop of "good junk" and the difference is amazing. I dont have anywhere near the machines you have but it has been like a breath of fresh air having some space to move in. I have seen your work and been wondering watching the video how you get buy. Where do you keep your wood or do you only procure wood on a project specific basis.?

Thanks for the video. Would have liked it to be more wide angle and dwell longer. There is a ton to learn from a guy like you.:thumb::D What you have forgotten i still have to get to.

Thank you Bryan.

I for one have a few questions to ask.....

I did not realise you had a belt sander as well as the i think its called stroke sander with the adjustable table. Having viewed many of your postings i have only ever noticed you using the stroke sander and you had me sold on the merits of that machine being the be all and end all of sanding.

Is it a substitute for having a wide belt sander and if not why? Why do you have both if you dont mine my asking. Note i am nowhere near your level so i am looking to understand the different purposes. You seem to get so much use and more out of the stroke sander and the fact that it has that adjustable table. While on that topic could one say put a object as in piece of furniture under the stroke sander at full extension so as to be able to say refinish the top of say a bedside table without having to remove the top or as an alternative to using a handheld tool or do i have the totally incorrect idea about it. You have had me thinking that with its adjustable table as a feature on its own even for hobbiests as we get older this would be a great tool given its adjustability in working height.

Next i see you have a chop saw situated on the table saw. Is this a "semi permanent position" and if so how does it factor into your opertating procedure.

Jim Bradley has brought up the issue of task lighting and my observation is that you a specific task light for just about every operation on every machine. The video dwell time did not permit seeing which lamp fixture you are using all over the place is there a specific one you use or is it whatever you get your hands on. Would you share a few picks of how you have these mounted in their various locations please. I am nothing but frustrated with my Delta magnetic base type.

Last point do you find with the density you have going in your shop that you can work without frustration with regards to handling material around the machines.

I have recently decluttered my shop of "good junk" and the difference is amazing. I dont have anywhere near the machines you have but it has been like a breath of fresh air having some space to move in. I have seen your work and been wondering watching the video how you get buy. Where do you keep your wood or do you only procure wood on a project specific basis.?

Thanks for the video. Would have liked it to be more wide angle and dwell longer. There is a ton to learn from a guy like you.:thumb::D What you have forgotten i still have to get to.
The stroke is good for large surfaces, but no good for assembled raised panel doors. I was building my 2nd kitchen ( 1990) and wanted something better than the shop made stroke I had. I found out the belt would slip down and gouge out a thickness of the belt in a wink. In 2004 I was building fireplace mantles, so got the 25" double drum to sand the raised panel, etc. The 6x108 belt sander was an upgrade from the 6x80 asian I had. To get a longer sanding area for the edges of the raised panel doors I was building. Sanding table has 27" working height and 43" from the floor with the table folded. Furniture could be blocked up off the floor. The stroke like mine is no longer made so used would be the only way to get one.

chop saw is semi permanent, but since I rarely use that end of the saw table, thats usually where it sits. I sometimes store it under the saw table or the stroke table.

Lighting, ceiling at 13 ft and have 4 twin 8' tubes so had to add some plug in 4' , one over the TS, 2 over the stroke / work bench. Also have several magnetic deltas and a few cheap ajustable arm/spring types . I like them best cause you can get a big twist bulb in them and they can be wall mounted.
I can't realistically build kitchens anymore, run out of room fast. Single projects, not too bad. And the old Unisaw doubles as a work table / finish table once the plywood top is on it, also the router table can be used to sit stuff on it. I just got the big bandsaw so have not built any big projects yet to see how it will affect work flow. Wood is on wall racks or behind the TS. Maybe you should go over the pics in my old shop tour may help answer questions.
If I ever get a new digital SLR Canon t4i rebel ( drooling ) I could shoot HD 1080p wide angle video with my 10-22mm lens :D

WOW nice looking shop where do you assemble projects?
On the stroke sander table, or with a plywood top on the Unisaw. Router table gets double duty too.:D The stroke table ( 36" x 97" ) allows anything under 27" high to lay under the belt , front edge to the drywall is 48". Stroke table can be folded down so the unit is 20" out from the wall.

IMG_5146-001.JPGIMG_4892-001.JPG

Last edited:
On the stroke sander table, or with a plywood top on the Unisaw. Router table gets double duty too.:D The stroke table ( 36" x 97" ) allows anything under 27" high to lay under the belt , front edge to the drywall is 48". Stroke table can be folded down so the unit is 20" out from the wall.

View attachment 68868View attachment 68869

That is much like my shop was. I used my TS & bench /out-feed table. I hope to get away from this handicap in the future.

Attachments

• A1 myshop 072.jpg
    A1 myshop 072.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 15
Take #3 is longer @ 6 minutes , slowed down my walking speed, showed a few more machines.:thumb: I replaced the original , so see 1st post.:wave:

thats alot goodies in one tight place bryan.. you must have done some thinking to get a flow out of everythng in such a small aera.. at first i thought you had it up stairs then you showed the over head door.. was about to ask how you got such heavy equipment up those stairs:)

My brain is hot. The combination of all those exciting tools and the Moonlight Sonata was like pouring coffee down a drunk. Thanks for the tour Bryan. Goes to show what you can do with a specific amount of space if you just focus :)

thats alot goodies in one tight place bryan.. you must have done some thinking to get a flow out of everythng in such a small aera.. at first i thought you had it up stairs then you showed the over head door.. was about to ask how you got such heavy equipment up those stairs:)
Those are stairs to the basement, computer desk, fridge and a washroom just steps away from that door. Flow came about by moving equipment around , trying different arrangements over the last 20 years and 3 shops. I have been thinking of moving the big bandsaw to behind TS at to the side of the planer at the centre post the DC pipe is on to free up room by the garage door. Not hard to try, can aways put it back if it doesn't work out.