Thread: Two-speed drills

Question Two-speed drills

I have two lovely Ryobi rechargeable drills, that both have two speed ranges. One range, obviously is slower than the other. I figured, less speed, more power, and tended to use the low range for larger spade bits. However, I was recently drilling 3/4" holes in spruce, and found that the work went faster at high speed (go figure!) The low speed is still too fast to be useful for driving screws. Also, I have a 4 speed drill press that I tend to leave on the second highest speed and just work away.

So I wondered, are there any sort of guidelines for when to use high speed and when to use low speed when drilling material?
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Thank you! That's very useful and complete. I'll have to put it on the wall near my drill press.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

As shown there are a lot of guidelines.
    I keep my drill press at about 550 rpm and in nine years believe I have reset the speed less than six times. Works for me.
    On the rechargable hand drills I have the trigger is the main speed control for screws and such. My DeWalt does have a shifter. I have to admit using the trigger to control speed for screws is tricky. Batteries are shot for my B&D screwdriver and I miss it. Replacement batteries are more than the screwdriver cost new and I'm too stubborn to buy more.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    Thank you! That's very useful and complete. I'll have to put it on the wall near my drill press.
    I have the same one in a plastic sleeve stuck to a metal surface near the DP with a magnet.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    You're welcome. I find the speeds a little bit on the aggressive side for the bigger bits. I have a 16-speed and tend to use 1 speed lower than recommended by the chart for big stuff... forstners mostly. My tinkering also involves a lot of metal, so I have a machinist's handbook listing for different speeds in different metals.