Another item off the to-do list.
Once upon a time I bought a roller stand because is had roller-balls on it. Long rollers tend to steer stock and I wanted something for the bandsaw. I found that on heavier material the rollers left patterns of crushed fibers that showed up during the finishing stage despite hand planing and sanding to final dimension. So, I modified it and added casters.
This worked great.
Every now and then I would be working with material, or end up with spoil, consisting of stock that was thinner than this design is intended for. I have other stands but, I would be too lazy . . . er. . . . I mean 'creatively focused', yeah, that's it . . . creatively focused to stop and swap stands.
I grabbed a piece of scrap 1/4" BB ply and a piece of PVC pipe. I cut a skinny 1/4" slot out of the PVC on the tablesaw and cut the ply to a size that would position the PVC a fat 1/8" below the top of the casters. I just happened to cut the PVC slot small enough to fit nice and tight (read, pounded it on with a dead blow mallet).
Now I get the benefit of the casters and have a safety net for the occasional thinner stock/spoil.