Roller Stand Mod, V2

glenn bradley

Another item off the to-do list.

Once upon a time I bought a roller stand because is had roller-balls on it. Long rollers tend to steer stock and I wanted something for the bandsaw. I found that on heavier material the rollers left patterns of crushed fibers that showed up during the finishing stage despite hand planing and sanding to final dimension. So, I modified it and added casters.

Roller Stand Mod v2 (1).jpg . Roller Stand Mod v2 (2).jpg . Roller Stand Mod v2 (3).jpg

This worked great.

Every now and then I would be working with material, or end up with spoil, consisting of stock that was thinner than this design is intended for. I have other stands but, I would be too lazy . . . er. . . . I mean 'creatively focused', yeah, that's it . . . creatively focused to stop and swap stands.

Roller Stand Mod v2 (4).jpg

I grabbed a piece of scrap 1/4" BB ply and a piece of PVC pipe. I cut a skinny 1/4" slot out of the PVC on the tablesaw and cut the ply to a size that would position the PVC a fat 1/8" below the top of the casters. I just happened to cut the PVC slot small enough to fit nice and tight (read, pounded it on with a dead blow mallet).

Roller Stand Mod v2 (5).jpg . Roller Stand Mod v2 (6).jpg

Now I get the benefit of the casters and have a safety net for the occasional thinner stock/spoil.

Roller Stand Mod v2 (7).jpg

Last edited:
what will you do when that white wears off on the good lumber going across it? we know it must be just paint that will wear off and mark the next piece threw:) your use of pvc has triggered me to make a similar fix to my PU back Cover door lift..

what will you do when that white wears off on the good lumber going across it?

The only things that should rub on it are thin pieces that fall through the caster spacing. I figure those pieces will be so light weight (and usually spoil anyway) that it shouldn't be a problem. I guess I never thought about PVC rubbing off :huh:. I did give it a coat of that shop-surface imperviator; Johnson's Paste Wax :D.