Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The bed

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines

The bed

Late last year I got started on building the bed for my granddaughter. It took me a long time to do as I am very slow. This is built out of burr oak from a tree that I had cut on my dad's place. I followed a plan from Wood Mag, but had to do a few modifications. The lumber had some twist to it and I didn't have a jointer yet. I made a fixture that I put the boards in and shimmed them so they wouldn't rock. Then I flatten the one side with a router. This was slow but got the job done. I the ripped them to have one straight edge. I planed them down too have both sides flat. Enter in another problem. Some were thinner that 3/4" by the time I got them down to flat. I ended up glueing 2 together face to face to get boards that would be thick enough. I then replaned them down to 3/4". I cut the legs and glued them together. I glued 1/16" pieces on the side so that you could not tell that the legs were 3 pieces glued together to make the heavy leg. I then had to do a bunch of mortices for the slats. I made a jig for that. I worked fairly well. I used an amber dye with an antique cherry stain and finished with a water base poly. A few pics and the granddaughter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001 (600 x 450)bed build 1.jpg   002 (600 x 450)bed build 2.jpg   003 (600 x 450)bed buid 3.jpg   001 (600 x 450)bed build 4.jpg   004 (600 x 450)bed build 5.jpg  

001 (600 x 450)bed build 6.jpg   002 (600 x 450)bed build 7.jpg   003 (600 x 450)bed build 9.jpg   002 (600 x 450)beed build 8.jpg   007 (600 x 450)bed build 10.jpg  

It's a wonderful bed, and worth all the time and labour you put into it. When she lays your great-granddaughter down in that same bed she will know where she came from.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Beautiful bed Rex your process goes to show where there is a will, there is a way great job on it and your grand daughter is a keeper

well done rex,, and i hope you resawed the second board to make your 3/4" thickness.. had it been me i would just took the others down thinner to match unless it was just the one.. but what you made is great and the little girl looks like she thinks so too
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

You efforts will be appreciated every night for many years to come. That came out great.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Great job on the bed Rex! So will you be making longer side boards for a larger mattress as she grows?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Well done Rex!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    Glenn it a 3-1 bed and the toddler side and side rails for a full bed are already done. I have to store them for a while as the kids have a very small house. Thank you all for your commits.

Beautiful job Rex
    Faith, Hope & Charity

the bed is sweet, but your granddaughter is much sweeter,
    man o man, I wish I had a grandchild, you guys are such lucky dogs.
    Human Test Dummy