Late last year I got started on building the bed for my granddaughter. It took me a long time to do as I am very slow. This is built out of burr oak from a tree that I had cut on my dad's place. I followed a plan from Wood Mag, but had to do a few modifications. The lumber had some twist to it and I didn't have a jointer yet. I made a fixture that I put the boards in and shimmed them so they wouldn't rock. Then I flatten the one side with a router. This was slow but got the job done. I the ripped them to have one straight edge. I planed them down too have both sides flat. Enter in another problem. Some were thinner that 3/4" by the time I got them down to flat. I ended up glueing 2 together face to face to get boards that would be thick enough. I then replaned them down to 3/4". I cut the legs and glued them together. I glued 1/16" pieces on the side so that you could not tell that the legs were 3 pieces glued together to make the heavy leg. I then had to do a bunch of mortices for the slats. I made a jig for that. I worked fairly well. I used an amber dye with an antique cherry stain and finished with a water base poly. A few pics and the granddaughter.