a dufus with power

Interesting points on both sides of the issue. I can see where everyone is coming from.

I'm with Brent. I wouldn't walk across the street to stand in a crowd of people to see either one of them.

In my view if they knew and agreed to the curfew than they should abide by it. If the report is true they knew that they had exceeded their allowed time and chose to ignore it. I probably would of pulled the plug on them too.

bill, thanx for the article, that is just too funny though.
in the interest of the publics health and safety.

so they werent mad he exceeded the time curfew, they were more concerned with public health and safety.

I cant figure out how 15 more minutes would be detrimental to public health, or safety.

Oh, wait, got it. Im guessing alot of vampires come out late in the evening in england, so the police were trying to protect the concert goers from vampire attacks. jeesh......I never realized that.

I think they ought to start fining airlines, trains, buses, and all other public transportation means when they are late and certainly detrimental to public health and safety.
Maybe they should fine the police for taking too long to respond to certain calls....oh wait.....car accidents without injuries are not priorities,buglary reports, ...as I was told.......yeah.....cops are too busy shutting down concerts running 15 minutes over the limit.......and Im not picking on cops at all.

gentleman, Im not trying to agitate anyone, nor provoke anything. I understand laws and no matter how simple or unimportant some are to us in our daily lives, laws have to be enforced to maintain a society.
But, I also have seen time after time, after dealing with one inspector after another, how a little power goes straight to someones head, and it gives certain people with that power a little thrill to flex it now and then, and prove something.
And that, is the real story here for me.

Last edited:
I've never been to London or Hyde Park, but the news here said that the neighbors of the venue complained, they should have given the neighbors free tickets. It's like you should always invite your neighbors to your parties because if they are there they can't complain. :rofl:

My $.02: In life, and in my profession, you gotta know the rules. Any you gotta know when to break 'em.
You want rules enforced 100%? Anybody here ever drive faster than the posted limit?

Thank you Ken, for saying exactly what I was thinking. Police officers have a HUGE amount of discretionary freedom when it comes to enforcing laws, especially "nuisance" laws such as a curfew.

And to add another $.02...in the UK, the "public health and safety" line is used as an excuse for virtually any repressive action the authorities want to take. That's why it's illegal there to stand inside your house and wave a knife near a window where the burglars who are breaking into your property can see it. Playing music after 10:30 PM on a Saturday in a public place (with 80,000 people in attendance) has no bearing whatsoever on "public health and safety", as far as I can tell.

shows ya the intelligence of the people who purchased those million dollar homes next to a place that holds 80 thousand people.

It would be one thing if some kids were playing their drums and guitars in their yard at 1 am, I could see them getting asked to stop.

shows ya the intelligence of the people who purchased those million dollar homes next to a place that holds 80 thousand people.

Or maybe it shows their sense of entitlement. Do the million buck homes outweigh 80K people enjoying themselves, not to mention a performance which could be recorded for posterity?

And don't you think the promoters should have a little responsibility to bear here? They had to know the venue and the restrictions, and they brought in Bruce.

From what I hear he's the kind of performer that gives his fans their money's worth quite frequently with longer than normal concerts.

You'd think they would have planned for it ahead of time.

And don't you think the promoters should have a little responsibility to bear here? ...

The promoters are the ones who pulled the plug. They had already run a half hour past curfew and Bruce still didn't want to obey the rules. If he wanted to give the audience an hour more than they paid for, he should have started an hour earlier. ;)

I've never been to London or Hyde Park, but the news here said that the neighbors of the venue complained, they should have given the neighbors free tickets. It's like you should always invite your neighbors to your parties because if they are there they can't complain. :rofl:

You know that Buckingham Palace in just across from Hyde Park... maybe the Queen was tired and wanted to go to bed?? :D:D:D:D

I dunno - i guess it's just me ... If there's a law and I break it, I don't get bent out of shape that someone decided to enforce it. It's there in the books, don't do something. While I have broken the speed limit, my responsibility is my own and if I got pulled over for it I have no right (or credible reason) to be angry with the cop for "throwing his weight around" - it's a law, I broke it, my responsibility.

I don't really care WHY the cop chose to pull me over - if someone does wrong, I am resentful that they aren't held to the same standard. If the law is not going to be enforced, drop the law - it's pointless to have it in the first place. If it's on the books, enforce it 100% - that's why it's a law, right?

If you speed, you should be cited for it. We all play the game of odds with stuff like that - the chances aren't high that you'll be caught so you do it - which is something I don't like but seems to be human nature. I don't get how it's okay to have the law and NOT enforce it - why have the law at all at that point?

let's see here, the owners of the venue know that they have a curfew time with night concerts. in the meetings with the promoters, they would have brought that point up more than once, as a reminder, considering who the performer was, and quite possibly mentioned that they could bend the rule just a little. the concert goes on, and runs past the scheduled end time, due to performer's noted inability to abide by the agreements in the contract (well, he is the "boss" after all), and is allowed about a half hour of leeway. when it looks like the performer has no intention of stopping, the promoter/owner of the venue pulls the plug. now, where is the problem, other than an overrated performer with an outsized ego that's just been bruised just a touch?