Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French cleats

Question French cleats

For those of you who've put up french cleats for storage on your shop walls, how wide/big did you make the wall half of your cleat system?
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    ...how wide/big did you make the wall half of your cleat system?
    OK, I've not hung shop stuff on French cleats, but I've hung quite a few heavy mirrors and pieces of expensive artwork on them. I'd suggest starting with 3/4" lumber that's 3" to 4" wide, then just rip it down the middle with the tablesaw blade set at about 45º. (No need to get too exact with the angle...just kick the blade over into the vicinity and go.) One half of the ripped board goes on the wall and the other half goes on what you're hanging. We would make both halves the same width so we could just carry a few pre-cut sticks in the truck and not have to worry about stocking one width for the wall and another for the artwork.

You can use lumber that's narrower than 3", but you soon run out sufficient material for the mounting screws to hold onto. (We would use 1 1/2" wide stock for small, lightweight artwork, but for shop stuff, the wider the better.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Ned I use scrap fo mine, I usually take a piece of 3/4" stock about 2 1/2" or 3" wide and run it through the saw and cut a 45º angle on one edge and length depends on the piece I am hanging.

Same as Vaughn and Charles
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Thanks guys,
    I'm planning on about 6 to 8' lineal cleats mounted above my benches, and then hanging tool racks etc from them as needed. Think I need to get to milling some of my wavy maple down (it's a) paid for and b) not going in anything 'fine' so perfect for this project.
    -Ned

Remember if you hang a cabinet to put a same thickness board at the bottom of the cabinet to keep it hanging straight.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

You will like the French cleats. They are so versatile. Glenn has really used them.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Remember if you hang a cabinet to put a same thickness board at the bottom of the cabinet to keep it hanging straight.
    +1, I made this mistake in spades on my first try and the (stuff on the) walls came tumbling down.

Bart, I always make the sides of the piece that I am hanging deep enough so the cleat on the cabinet is inset the thickness of the wall cleat this keeps from having to add a piece on the bottom. Then the sides are flush with the wall.

Mine are about 5". I wanted them a little taller for the small organizers to hang on without having to add a shim on the back as mentioned with the cabinets above. I have several that are about 12" apart so don't need the shim on the back of a hanging cabinet.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault