Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Router Table question-Beading on a concave shape

Router Table question-Beading on a concave shape

for Carol or anyone else that has done it take a 36" wide and 4" high piece of stock and give me a concave curve with a bead not applied.. cut from the same stock..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	concave apron.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	69169 also not with a scratch stock.. i was told it was possible this wknd but dont see how..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Ooooh! Good one, Larry. One of the challenges is the grain chain from end of the arc to other. Doing it by hand with a scratch block is out of the question? Probably the quickest way from start to finish. But if think you want to use a power tool, then a bit of jigging is order. Got a thought, but first I have to look to see if there is router bit for the task. Later.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

i have seen a set up carol where they used a hand held and a small pivot point to use as the follower.. i have done it with a scratch stock and you do need to go both directions to achieve it.. the only bit i have found, only does a double curve carol not the square grove step

Horizontal router table with a short convex fence and a regular beeding bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb Taylor View Post
    Horizontal router table with a short convex fence and a regular beeding bit?
    hey jeb you got any links or pics of what you are referring to..

OK, some research later. I cannot envision how any router bit can make that cut. If you divide a cut in half, you will see. The inner round-over on the bead with its facing straight side with a small flat bottom shows the difficulty. A router bit makes a mirrored cut on either side a center line, in this case the centerline running through the flat bottom of the cut. No bit can cut a round-over on one face and leave the opposite face straight.

The arced board is either presented to the cutter face down or on edge. On edge doesn't work at all. On its face is can work but not produce the flat surface facing the bead.

This cut would appear to be a mark of handwork. Good marketing point, when you think about it.

So two ways I can think of. One is the hand scratch block. The other would be to laminate and bend the beaded part.. Round it over on each edge and then glue it to the arc. Again the hand scratch block is easier and faster.

Is what it is, folks.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Ok i aint tried this but is there any reason why one could not cut a corresponding half moon shape out an secure it to the base of a router in such a manner as to have its edge run along the edge of the arc and guide a bit.
    Say one were to take a 1/2 piece of ply and cut a dado just to the side of center of the base. Attach it to the base of the router. Then slide into the dado a half round piece cut to match the arc. However prior to inserting, run the piece through the bit mounted in a router table so that its kind of zero clearance sides. This way the router bit would be guided on two surfaces. The arc and the face with the bit to make the bead sticking through.
    cheers

well rob if i have this right,, you need to look at the fact that the router bit would need to be extended way out to get the corresponding curved base to work. you need to miss the edges of the router base to get the swing..

Larry, I think Rob and Jeb's ideas are looking at using a bit similar to this one...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Bead...3-8-Dia-/C1318

I've got one that is smaller that almost comes to a point (1/16" flat area) having a 1/4" round-over.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Larry, I think Rob and Jeb's ideas are looking at using a bit similar to this one...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Bead...3-8-Dia-/C1318

I've got one that is smaller that almost comes to a point (1/16" flat area) having a 1/4" round-over.
    possibly darren but that bit profile gives you a differnt look than what i have shown and what i saw this wknd..i asked the guy how he did it and he said with a jig and router ??? thats all he would tell me???