Just skewing around

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Loml recently got a new spinning wheel (that makes three...) made out of nice cherry wood. One of the accessories is an "orifice hook" used to hook the yarn or leader through a small opening in the spinny part. The hook that came with the wheel was sad black plastic, so I was asked to make one... well... they are kind of fun to make :D Some cherry, some walnut (black and white), two maple burl piece I got from my cousins burn pile :eek: Mostly just playing around with techniques and forms, not in love with all of the end points but fun to make.

IMG_1366.JPG

Can only agree with what has been said. I will add that it appears you have the skew use down pat.:D

Not quite what you don't see there are the parts I turned off because of catches or gouges :D That's the nice thing about gew gaws like this, if you mess them up they are still generally salvageable :D Was getting a little better by then end of the day though, another 2000-3000 hours and I might almost be passable.

I don't know Ryan, but aI know you made some really cool stuff! Pen turners by nature can skew anyone!

Last edited:
Things like that are always more fun to do. Designs and ideas just keep on coming and makes it hard to stop.
Dennis