Thread: Basic Router Fence?

Basic Router Fence?

Guys & gals,
    my next project now that the shop is 99% clean for the moment is to build a basic router table. I'm pretty good on the table design, going with a simple box I can secure in my newfangled bench. I'm planning on a basic L-shaped fence at least initially. No t-track or similar features, simply something I can guide the workpiece with. Have you built a similar fence? if so, would you mind posting a pic? thanks, need some inspiration here is all.
    -Ned

Have you thought about a fence with the far end pivoting on a pin & you adjust it & clamp the near end. I think Larry has one.

Here are a few shots of mine from Wood Magazine. The only other Rt. fence I have is the one on my $20 dollar Rockler table.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails router fence 009.jpg   router fence 010.jpg   router fence 011.jpg   router fence 012.jpg   Rockler RT.jpg  

Last edited by Bart Leetch; 07-23-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Things that complicate a router fence include dust collection and sliding faces. Basic is simply two pieces of plywood glued into the 'L' shape, maybe buttressed from the rear to maintain 90. Pin one end of the fence to the table, pivot the other and clamp it. Easy peasy. Add dust collection, things get a little more complicated. Tell us what you have in made with regard to fence features desire.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Have you thought about a fence with the far end pivoting on a pin & you adjust it & clamp the near end. I think Larry has one.

Here are a few shots of mine from Wood Magazine. The only other Rt. fence I have is the one on my $20 dollar Rockler table.
    Bart, thanks, I think that's more the fence for the 'big table', I'll keep it in mind though!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    Things that complicate a router fence include dust collection and sliding faces. Basic is simply two pieces of plywood glued into the 'L' shape, maybe buttressed from the rear to maintain 90. Pin one end of the fence to the table, pivot the other and clamp it. Easy peasy. Add dust collection, things get a little more complicated. Tell us what you have in made with regard to fence features desire.
    Simple is exactly what I'm thinking... I might even have something already glued up that I will use in the short term. I would just have to clean it up a bit. I don't have a shop vac (well I do, but it basically is on it's last legs), so Dust collection for me while routing is 'sweep up afterwards'.

I'll put up pics later, the table is on the fast track this week, Might take me a couple of days, but I'll get'er done.
    -Ned