Thats it!! I've had it!!

The snow can go away now!! It was all melted last week then it came back. :( Don't get me wrong, I love going to the woods in the winter, cutting trees, the buzz of the chainsaw, the gentle rumble of the old IH Bulldozer skidding logs out. Burning brush in the fields so you have a warm spot to sit and have a nice toasty cup of coffee.

But I'm ready for spring, I'm just itching to get the garden tractor out and hook up the tiller. Smell of fresh turned dirt, planting the garden. Working in the wood shop with the big sliding door open. Being able to go down to the mill and fire it up and saw without spending an hour shoveling snow out of the way. (you would think a guy with a mill would have a roof over it after all this time :doh: )

Ok I feel better now, but I still need to go out and fix the fire.

I agree with you. I am a die hard snowmobiler and love to ride sled. For 9 months out of the year I look forward to getting on my sled and riding. Now that it is March though, all those things I have been putting off for the last 3 months are catching up with me.

I am a bit different then most woodworkers in that I do more woodworking in the Spring, Summer and Fall then I do in the winter. I just don't have time when the snow hits.

Snowmobiling is about all done. We just got 10 more inches today, but it just changed to all rain and it is going fast. Still I had a great season. In the past 9 weekends I have logged on 3,674 miles. That is like driving from Maine to California. Not bad on a sled. I have also introduced two new people to the sport and rode some trails I have never ridden before. Most of my trips were over 12 hours long and logged on an average of 220 miles a trip. As I said it was a great snowmobile season as short as it was, but now it is time to get back out in the shop and do something with wood.

Katadin_Overlook.jpg

I like it

Last week, we had a thaw and things were looking brown and yucky. We had a nice snowfall last night and it looks good outside again. I like shovelling snow and spent over an hour this morning clearing our place and our next door neighbour's place.

Here is a photo of the shop taken about 10 minutes ago:

Attachments

• Shop on March 17 -small.JPG
    Shop on March 17 -small.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 23
I am sick of winter also. Just went outside in my shorts and nearly froze to death. Looked at the thermometer and it is 61 degrees. Rushed back in and put on Long pants and a heavy shirt. This winter has been the pits.

I'm ready for some real food again. Seems we don't really care to cook inside. The grille gets used quite a bit during nice weather seasons. But this winter I couldn't keep the back door from freezing up due to all the ice we've had.

Yeah, well, here I am in the frozen north, dreaming of the lost paradise. There's ice everywhere. I'm telling you, the place is unfit for human habitation.

Let's see... if I took 66 west to 81 to 40, and turned south at 15, I could be home in the wink of an eye.

Or, as the song said: "If I didn't tell her, I could leave today..." ;)

Brrrrrr.... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Well, it looks like snow season is mostly over - didn't get a lot this year. March and April can surprise the heck out of you here, though. I'll miss the cold clear days of Feb - lots of sun and with low humidity.

Mud season is underway now, damp windy, sloppy underfoot. This will eventually give way to black fly season as the leaves fill out on the trees. Then the mosquitoes show up, accompanied by high humidity. Mowing the lawn slathered in bug dope and sweat - working at a fast trot to escape the clouds of insects.

Sometime around the middle of July the ocean temp rises enough to make swimming possible. Then things are pretty good for outdoor living, but the humidity in the basement shop, even with the dehumidifier, makes working a wet sticky business. Not to mention the effect on the wood.

My favourite time of year? Mid September to the end of October - warm days, cool nights and manageable humidity. That's a great time for outdoor and indoor work. Spectacular fall foliage can't help but lift one's spirits. The basement woodstove gets lit in November and the shop is nice and comfy, until mud season arrives again.

Would I be happier somewhere else? Nope - tried lots of other places and this goofy maritime climate suits me best :)

I am sick of winter also. Just went outside in my shorts and nearly froze to death. Looked at the thermometer and it is 61 degrees. Rushed back in and put on Long pants and a heavy shirt. This winter has been the pits.

Thats OK Allen, rub it in. I'll remember that when its 100 degree's down there and 100% humidity and you guys are complaining its to hot to go to the shop. :D

Ready for spring here too. We had 2 fantastic days of almost 70, then back to normal. All the snow melted and allowed a thorough pooper-scooper patrol of the yard to catch the ones that got hidden by snow. Got another little bit of snow again but it's almost all gone now too. It wouldn't hurt my feelings none if the snow-blower has seen it's last startup of the winter.

Bugs, don't forget the HUGE bugs they got down there :eek: :eek: :eek:
They've got all year to grow into little volkswagons

Like a 50's horror movie I hear :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nothing but rain...rain...rain today...!

But, it beats the snow/wind storm we had in January. My tractor and trailer (with a couple of cherry logs in it) are under the tree...somewhere! :eek:

Last edited:
Last week, we had a thaw and things were looking brown and yucky. We had a nice snowfall last night and it looks good outside again. I like shovelling snow and spent over an hour this morning clearing our place and our next door neighbour's place.

Here is a photo of the shop taken about 10 minutes ago:

Er.......uh......isn't there supposed to be SMOKE coming out of that chimney pipe in the shop picture, Frank?:huh: You'd better quit messing around with that "White Sawdust" and get in there and start making some "Kindling".:rolleyes: :D :thumb:

You better sell lots of plants my friend!!!

I cry about heating my 10X12 greenhouse in the spring, Which reminds me a I got some work to do out there yet

And that $4500 gas bill was for February alone.

right now there are 3000 Easter Lilies, 1200 hydrangeas, 10,000 plus 4.5 inch potted plants, 1000 flats, will have 700 hanging baskets, will have 200 plus Combination flowering pots, etc. That is spring, come winter 5000 poinsettia pots.

Joe