Leather Vise Jaw Liners

glenn bradley

Another one off the to-do list that invariably grows long when I am working on a large piece. I have had leather liners on the front vise for quite awhile. The leather kept moving, coming loose and just being a bother, I had tried spray adhesives (although not the new contact adhesive spray can stuff) and other stay-flexible glues that all eventually failed. I pulled the leather off (again) today to try again. I was surprised that I was actually able to use a carbide scraper and salvage the leather. After cleaning the jaw surfaces with mineral spirits followed by naphtha; I applied contact cement like you might use for laminates. I've been using them all day in the heat and they haven't budged :thumb:.vise leather (1).jpg . vise leather (2).jpg . vise leather (3).jpg

I used contact adhesive Glenn but i am not sold on leather in the vice even though mine has not moved. I do notice though you have the suede facing out, i did mine the other way round. I think i should take a sander to the skin side and rough it up a bit.

I've actually used the regular weld-bond contact cement to glue some new 'soles' onto some slippers of mine that I love and cannot find any replacement for. They were pretty expensive for slippers, and are so comfy and well made I can't bear to tossem, cause I know I can't find any replacements. The contact cement actually flexes and has held leather-to-leather for a couple seasons now. Next season I'll have to try and peel them off and put a new bottom on...

I used contact adhesive Glenn but i am not sold on leather in the vice even though mine has not moved. I do notice though you have the suede facing out, i did mine the other way round. I think i should take a sander to the skin side and rough it up a bit.

Agree. I used to just use a large piece of leather and wrap it around whatever I was putting in the vice. The suede side grips much better than the smooth side. This is one of the reasons I like it; I don't have to put near the grip on items that I do in plain wood jaws. I hate finding a little ding that was snuck in by the vise jaws via that amazing flaw-finder . . . finishing.

i agree with glenn on the grip factor i think when my vice took a hike and lost its grip part of it was due to no leather on the vice jaws,, now i dont need to reef it down at all to hold rob.. and by all means use the suede side out for grip..it was glenn that got me to use leather to begin with:)

I do some wood carving and make my own strops for honing my carving knives. I have found that rubber cement works very well and have attached leather to wood for years this way. Coat the wood and the leather with the RC and let it dry. Only then attach the leather to the wood. It should hold.

Maybe I'm wandering away from the subject but I found that lining the jaws of my carving vise with 1/2" cork instead of leader has more grip on the piece I'm carving, doesn't damage it at all, I can exert more pressure with the vise as the cork adapts to she shape and what is more important it comes back to its shape almost inmediately without a problem. Oh! I forgot, it doesn't move at all, I glued it with contact cement.

With a very small apology to music in general I will say that Toni's post made me think of, "My Gal's (vises) a corker. She's a New Yorker. I buy her lots of things to keep her in style. She's got a head of hair, just like a Grizzly bear; that, boys is where my money goes..."

Enjoy,

JimB

The name Sammy Kaye goes along with the above fractured music line as you old timers will know.

With a very small apology to music in general I will say that Toni's post made me think of, "My Gal's (vises) a corker. She's a New Yorker. I buy her lots of things to keep her in style. She's got a head of hair, just like a Grizzly bear; that, boys is where my money goes..."

Enjoy,

JimB

The name Sammy Kaye goes along with the above fractured music line as you old timers will know.

I used to have the sheet music for that song. It was carved onto a stone tablet. :rofl: