Thread: Saw stop drill press?

Saw stop drill press?

Here I am minding my business sanding some pieces with a drum sander on the drill press. Nice safe operation right? Well that is what I thought anyway. To my surprise that part I was sanding somehow grabbed on the sanding drum and next thing I know it's pulled my hand between the part and the drum and I am sanding the nail on my finger!

OK, not a big deal since my hand is not trapped. You just move, well jerk, your hand away and I did. After saying a bad word for course. What amazes me was how fast that 80 grit paper can grind down a finger nail. In that split second it almost took the nail down to the quick! I was shocked when I looked at my hand!!

To make this point clear. I am not opposed to Saw Stop. It's a great idea, but it is just one machine in the shop. So far I have never been hurt on the table saw. It's always been one of the SAFER machines. Bandsaw, bench grinder, handsaw(s), chisels and now the drill press. Wonder if they have a drill press in the works??

Jeff
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

That's a close call Jeff. I am glad that you are OK. Your experience serves to remind us all that any of our machines can injure us.

I wonder if the Saw Stop company will branch out into other machines?
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 03-17-2007 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added a thought
    Cheers, Frank

Ok. Here is one for the Saw Stop Company. How about a Saw Stop Hammer. I REALLY hate it when I hit myself with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout View Post
    Ok. Here is one for the Saw Stop Company. How about a Saw Stop Hammer. I REALLY hate it when I hit myself with a hammer.
    Considering the way the SawStop works - when your finger touches the blade something is driven into the blade to stop it - a SawStop feature for a hammer would detect that the hammer hit your finger, then it would break your arm so you didn't do it again.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Considering the way the SawStop works - when your finger touches the blade something is driven into the blade to stop it - a SawStop feature for a hammer would detect that the hammer hit your finger, then it would break your arm so you didn't do it again.

Mike
    I like it Mike.
    Cheers, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    Now that is one terrific response!!!!!!! I really like that.

The more that I thought about it the better I like it. Breaking your arm, in addition to keeping you from doing it again, would hurt so bad that you would forget about how bad your finger hurt.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 03-18-2007 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout View Post
    Breaking your arm would hurt so bad that you would forget about how bad your finger hurt.
    But unlike hitting yourself with the hammer, it wouldn't feel so good when you stop