Saw stop drill press?

Jeff Horton

Here I am minding my business sanding some pieces with a drum sander on the drill press. Nice safe operation right? Well that is what I thought anyway. To my surprise that part I was sanding somehow grabbed on the sanding drum and next thing I know it's pulled my hand between the part and the drum and I am sanding the nail on my finger! :eek:

OK, not a big deal since my hand is not trapped. You just move, well jerk, your hand away and I did. After saying a bad word for course. What amazes me was how fast that 80 grit paper can grind down a finger nail. In that split second it almost took the nail down to the quick! :eek: I was shocked when I looked at my hand!!

To make this point clear. I am not opposed to Saw Stop. It's a great idea, but it is just one machine in the shop. So far I have never been hurt on the table saw. It's always been one of the SAFER machines. Bandsaw, bench grinder, handsaw(s), chisels and now the drill press. :doh: Wonder if they have a drill press in the works??

Jeff

That's a close call Jeff. I am glad that you are OK. Your experience serves to remind us all that any of our machines can injure us.

I wonder if the Saw Stop company will branch out into other machines?

Last edited:
Ok. Here is one for the Saw Stop Company. How about a Saw Stop Hammer. I REALLY hate it when I hit myself with a hammer.
Considering the way the SawStop works - when your finger touches the blade something is driven into the blade to stop it - a SawStop feature for a hammer would detect that the hammer hit your finger, then it would break your arm so you didn't do it again.

Mike

Considering the way the SawStop works - when your finger touches the blade something is driven into the blade to stop it - a SawStop feature for a hammer would detect that the hammer hit your finger, then it would break your arm so you didn't do it again.

Mike

Now that is one terrific response!!!!!!! I really like that.

The more that I thought about it the better I like it. Breaking your arm, in addition to keeping you from doing it again, would hurt so bad that you would forget about how bad your finger hurt.

Last edited: