Silky Oak

neil mackay

Its been a bit quite so I thought I might might post this one. Its been lying around waiting for me to get inspired for atleast two years.

It measures 12"x3" sort of a flat hollow vesesl or perhaps a hollow platter :) Finished with DO and the inside is stained with Mahogany to give a good contrast to the carving.

I find these sort of flat shapes a real challenge, dont really want to turn away all the wood to make a platter and its a bit flat for a decent bowl. I only picked up the blank because of the figure, took me ages to come up with something I liked that would show off the figure and be less predictable.

Attachments

• Sily Oak bowl 009.jpg
    Sily Oak bowl 009.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Silky Oak bowl 007.jpg
    Silky Oak bowl 007.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 58
I love this one, Hughie! You took a tough form and really made it sing. :clap:

Do you have any adverse reactions to silky oak? I know it causes skin or lung issues for some people.

fun and excitment

Vaughn,

[I
love this one, Hughie! You took a tough form and really made it sing.
:thumb:
It wasnt with out it moments keeping everything in proportion.

Do you have any adverse reactions to silky oak? I know it causes skin or lung issues for some people

I 'm fortunate to have very few, if any allergys. But with this one I thought I was a gonna :D. I had a touch of the flu and caught conjunctivitus to boot during the carving. Woke up next morning and thought this Silky Oak is killing me :eek: aches,pains, eye glued shut, nose running like a tap [faucet :D ]. Ended up with a couple of days off work, squinting at the piece and mumbling to myself, blankity blank stoopid Silky Oak.

Thanks for all the positive comments :thumb: