Upcoming show

Dennis Kranz

I have been making a few things for a Christmas in July show. For the first time it will be a 2 day show. I am going to put all of the pictures in one post to save everyone some time. I also want to make an obsevation. The peper mills that I made I don't like the way they turn with something in them. Now I only put a couple pieces of fresh pepper in them. Does the amount make them turn differantly? I think the handles will hold up with that design. Just not smooth turning. Anyone else try them?
Dennis

100_1130 (600 x 450).jpg100_1132 (600 x 450).jpg100_1134 (600 x 450).jpg100_1137 (600 x 450).jpg100_1139 (600 x 450).jpg

Nice work, Dennis. :thumb: I'm not an expert on the pepper mills, but I know with most of them you can vary how hard or easy they are to turn (as well as how fine the pepper is ground) by loosening or tightening the cap nut on top.

I've used some pepper mills that were handled like that, and your right, they just seem harder to turn than one that has a grip the same size as the base. They have that choppy feel to them as they break up the corns.

The "pear shaped" (for lack of a better term) mills are interesting/non traditional, how do they feel in the hand?

I kind of like the plate a lot. I'm not sure about the extra curve on the side, I think I'd have to see it in person to really say.

Ryan the shape you are talking about feels good if you don't make it overly fat. The best that I have noticed is with the middle thinner.

The show this last week was good and bad. On Saturday the sales where not large but there where a lot of them. I also had a customer who ordered 30 of my Bird Houses for her gift shop. To be delivered in late September after she gets back from her extended trip. So as you can see Saturday was a good day. Sunday was a compleat bust. Could have taken a cot and had a nice nap or two and I would not of missed anything.

Dennis

I have been making a few things for a Christmas in July show. For the first time it will be a 2 day show. I am going to put all of the pictures in one post to save everyone some time. I also want to make an obsevation. The peper mills that I made I don't like the way they turn with something in them. Now I only put a couple pieces of fresh pepper in them. Does the amount make them turn differantly? I think the handles will hold up with that design. Just not smooth turning. Anyone else try them? Dennis

I didn't try any pepper in the ones I made, (I have 10 done now and just order 10 more for future shows) but they seem sturdy enough to me and I've already sold some of what I made... they seemed to be well received. The mechanism are the ceramic grinders and I image the texture of the pepper might make a difference... finer grind will require closer fit between the grinder than the coarse grind... I like your shapes... I've done most of mine in similar simpler shapes... tried for one that looked like the picture in the instructions, but it came out more like the "Schmoos" from the old Popeye comics ... not so pleased with the shape, so revered back to the straighter shapes like yours... they look good.

Also noticed that PSI has a new "mini" that's only 3" tall and has a chrome top... would like to try them too, but currently out of stock.

I like the potpourri bowls too.... haven't tried them yet, maybe later this fall for the Christmas shows.... good luck with your show... with your stuff as fine as it looks, should do well.