Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the shop a dangerous place for our shop pets?

Is the shop a dangerous place for our shop pets?

Now that the extreme heat has let up some I was able to get out in the shop a little bit this weekend. We got a new puppy a while back (7 months old) that likes to come into the shop. He eats just about anything he finds outside. Sticks, leaves, bugs, bunny droppings etc. Sometimes he just lays down for a while but other times he wants to snoop around and this has me worried about what he may get into. So my question is can wood shavings and dust be harmful to him? The first time he came into the shop I was running the shopvac and he started sneezing right away from the exhaust air it was putting out. I love having him around in the shop but I dont want him to eat or smell something that will hurt him.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

This is a topic where everyone will have a differing opinion.

MY Opinion is that a dog that young/small shouldn't be in the shop.

Speaking for my shop, it's a mess. In addition to sawdust and shavings on the floor, there are small pieces of wood either chipped or cut-off, dropped screws and nails, all sorts of stuff. I also do metal work in my shop, so there's little curls of metal by the drill press and the bench vise is generally surrounded by metal dust.

A full grown, trained, dog could handle most of this stuff. A puppy? Better safe than sorry.

Dust is no better for them than it is us.
    I would worry more about jumping up on something that is running. Or what happened to Bubba years ago when I was welding some broken implement finished the weld turned to put the stinger down and poked him right in the eye with the hot welding rod. I don't let the dogs out with me when I'm welding cause they watch what I'm doing but he had slipped out with someone and bam there he was.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

i would say that you need to watch him and make sure he stays outa the bad stuff and you should keep things up till he is trained to know better.. as for welding like chuck pointed out no way they dont know any better than to watch.. same goes with metal shavings they could cut his feet.. but there are many dogs in garages and shops.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Like chuck and Larry said. Depends on what I'm doing. If I need protection, they need protection.

So they are locked out while I'm doing any welding or sanding at a bare minimum. If it's just general messing around, they can stay.

Typically logan is glued to my side 24/7. Bucky, she picks and chooses what she wants to do.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Bucky, she picks and chooses what she wants to do.
    Typical woman.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I work outside, so I tether my dog so that the closest she can get to even a worktable is about 2', and about 8' from any running machinery. Today, my firewood box was in reach, so she raided it and used about six pieces of nice chewy wood for chew toys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pepper13mo1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	69394

Just had to show her to you. She's LOML 2. She loves to chew things made of plastic and rubber, so she's best kept away from my tools. She chewed up my retractable screwdriver a while ago. Didn't work after that.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    I work outside, so I tether my dog so that the closest she can get to even a worktable is about 2', and about 8' from any running machinery. Today, my firewood box was in reach, so she raided it and used about six pieces of nice chewy wood for chew toys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pepper13mo1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	69394

Just had to show her to you. She's LOML 2. She loves to chew things made of plastic and rubber, so she's best kept away from my tools. She chewed up my retractable screwdriver a while ago. Didn't work after that.
    Adorable!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Roger great looking dog!

Good looking dog, looks pretty keen.

Mine mostly don't even like the garage, especially if I'm doing something noisy. If I'm doing something dangerous then no dogs, but if just messing around they can come in. I'll leave the back door open so they can wander in and out, if I'm on the lathe they'll actually come in and stand patiently about 2 feet away waiting to be recognized, once I stop and say HI they'll wander back off outside.

I think it generally depends on the dog and what you're doing (as everyone else has mentioned). Some dogs are more amenable to things than others, mine don't really chew on things or mostly get into much (especially more so as they've gotten older) - other dogs I've had or been around less so...