Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benchtop Router Table: Done!

Benchtop Router Table: Done!

Decided it was long past time I built a router table for the shop. So I dug out my copy of 'Router Magic' and picked the benchtop router table design. Followed it pretty close so far:The tabletop is 16x20, but I think I need to cut another piece out of the countertop I've had kicking around forever. I forgot about the edge treatment which I left on, and now it 'fits' but is offset to the right, which means very stingy clamp spacer for the simple fence I'm going to put on there. Here is the 3/4" thick bottom of the table, which will fit into my newfangled workbench, and get clamped in here: above that is a 1/2" piece of borg ply, and then 3/4" side and back walls, plus gussets on the front edge: I took a break to cool off, and now it is a bit late to be cutting and what not out in the shop, so I'll get up tomorrow and finish it. I'm going to simply dedicate a fixed router base to it, and it will have a small opening, about 1 1/8 or so. I've only got a PC 690, so no panel raising bits for me.
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 08-01-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    -Ned

Looking good Ned
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Very nice Ned! Are you planning on adding a fence? If so, how are you attaching it? T slots?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Looking good Ned
    Thanks Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Very nice Ned! Are you planning on adding a fence? If so, how are you attaching it? T slots?
    Darren, thanks, It's long overdue...

Fence is going to be very simple, just an L and then using clamps to line it up. I've got t-track and all that, but I'm going to save the fancy fence and whatnot until I build either a bigger/better table or a wing extension on my tablesaw.
    -Ned

Perfect for what you want Ned. Don't bother with the T-track, IMHO on a small router table like that they are a waste of time, just the L fence you are talking about will work good. You might think about putting a threaded insert in it and then add a starting post (look it up, I'm sure it's covered in your book!)

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Perfect for what you want Ned. Don't bother with the T-track, IMHO on a small router table like that they are a waste of time, just the L fence you are talking about will work good. You might think about putting a threaded insert in it and then add a starting post (look it up, I'm sure it's covered in your book!)

Cheers!
    Stu, Thanks! and being a fan of the KISS principle at its finest. I'm going to use a clamp'd down starting block... essentially a rounded over long triangle that will reach near the bit, which is what Bill Hylton recommends for this table.
    -Ned

Cool router table Ned. Funny co incidence you doing this. I was in my shop yesterday looking at how i will fit my router table top into the side of my table saw. Took out the existing insert and working on a plan to secure the router table top.
    Seems like a summer of shop fixes for many.
    My router table is actually a portable top got the plan from one of the magazines, its 24 x 20 so it just fits the 27" table saw width. If you ever want a copy of the plan let me know and i can scan it and email to you. I used a LV insert for supporting my PC router. Cheap and works well with starting post included.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Cool router table Ned. Funny co incidence you doing this. I was in my shop yesterday looking at how i will fit my router table top into the side of my table saw. Took out the existing insert and working on a plan to secure the router table top.
    Seems like a summer of shop fixes for many.
    My router table is actually a portable top got the plan from one of the magazines, its 24 x 20 so it just fits the 27" table saw width. If you ever want a copy of the plan let me know and i can scan it and email to you. I used a LV insert for supporting my PC router. Cheap and works well with starting post included.
    somewhere I have a router plate from rockler... swallowed up in the move somewhere. For now though I'm just going to hang mine from a fixed base screwed to the bottom of the table.

Rob, thanks for the offer, I have a pretty good plan in mind, just of two minds for the extension wing table... currently I'm leaning toward 'if you're set up for routing, the TS is isn't useable, and vice versa' camp. However, in such a small shop, I may wind up going for it eventually. My big stopping point on executing that is mostly finding the hardware at this point. I was going to say 'and adding hardwood ends to the table surface so I can mount it to the TS'... however my current project is requiring that. I just came in to check on which orientation to cut splines. Which is cross-grain to the board in question. (In this case it is particle board on one side and maple on the other). Now I have to go find a thick enough board to get a 1" spline out of it. I think I have a piece of maple I can trim a strip off of, though I might go with cherry just for looks.
    -Ned

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Luv how you have the clamping set-up, quick & easy I like
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

[QUOTE=Ned Bulken;33997
    Rob, thanks for the offer, I have a pretty good plan in mind, just of two minds for the extension wing table... currently I'm leaning toward 'if you're set up for routing, the TS is isn't useable, and vice versa' camp. However, in such a small shop, I may wind up going for it eventually. My big stopping point on executing that is mostly finding the hardware at this point. I was going to say 'and adding hardwood ends to the table surface so I can mount it to the TS'... however my current project is requiring that. I just came in to check on which orientation to cut splines. Which is cross-grain to the board in question. (In this case it is particle board on one side and maple on the other). Now I have to go find a thick enough board to get a 1" spline out of it. I think I have a piece of maple I can trim a strip off of, though I might go with cherry just for looks.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe in that line of reasoning. My router is setup in the wing of my table saw and never had a problem using the saw if the router was setup our vise versa. There has been many a time I have had to route a piece and rip it and route it again to get what I needed.