Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: heavy duty casters for shop

heavy duty casters for shop

I am looking for some casters for a few things. One is a very heavy 16" jet band saw.

I see a lot of casters that say heavy duty. Any clues on which casters are really heavy duty and which ones are just phoning it in? I know solid steel would work but I don't have solid steel money and I would like the wheels to be 2" high. Is 2" enough height for a heavy shop tool to roll?

Here is an example of something economical but would they actually work for more than a week. I had one experience where the wheels flattened on one side.

these are $28 free shipping
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Pcs-2-Swi...ht_3203wt_1438

check out the other stores listing for a similar caster for the rating keith,, then use the size and style you show as a comparison i would say the ones you show might work but you need to look a moveable base set up to compare with to see what they use on them..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

In my experience, cheap casters are quite expensive, as you end up tossing them and then buying the good ones. If you spend the money on a good set of casters, rated for the work load you are going to subject them to, once you absorb the cost, you will never think about them again, many years from now you will have forgotten the cost, but those quality casters will still be working very well.

What kind of floor are you working on?

Do you want them to lock in place?

Will you be moving the BandSaw often?

I have some really cool Zambus casters on my lathe, they have a pad that you use a wrench to turn down so they actually lift the wheel off the floor, they are rock solid but I can move my lathe if I need to. I'd not wish to be down on the floor with a wrench daily to move the bandsaw around, but for the occasional use they are fantastic!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    In my experience, cheap casters are quite expensive, as you end up tossing them and then buying the good ones. If you spend the money on a good set of casters, rated for the work load you are going to subject them to, once you absorb the cost, you will never think about them again, many years from now you will have forgotten the cost, but those quality casters will still be working very well.

What kind of floor are you working on?

Do you want them to lock in place?

Will you be moving the BandSaw often?

I have some really cool Zambus casters on my lathe, they have a pad that you use a wrench to turn down so they actually lift the wheel off the floor, they are rock solid but I can move my lathe if I need to. I'd not wish to be down on the floor with a wrench daily to move the bandsaw around, but for the occasional use they are fantastic!

The floor is concrete, not perfectly smooth. I don't think I will be moving it much. I don't need locking casters. I prefer to just use a long wedge if I need to keep the casters from rolling.

I said 16" band saw but I meant to say 18 inch. Its pretty heavy.

I am wondering if any poly caster would slowly flatten on the bottom?

+1 on Zambus carrymaster casters. I've used a variety of cheaper casters and these things rock. I can roll my bandsaw (grizzly 17" so comparable) around easily with one hand and the drop down pads actually lock it in place and are stable unlike most so-called locking casters which I have tried.

The ones I have you can scroll up/down with a finger and generally unless I'm resawing something BIG I just lock down the two on the infeed side of the saw which holds it plenty good.

Keith i second what Stu has said. I am cheap at the best of times and have already been bitten on the caster issue more than once. Now i learned the hard way.

I just finished making a mobile base for my 14" Delta bandsaw with a totally enclosed steel base. I used the wheels out of lee valley casters. These you show look to be knock off of the Lee Valley type but the give away is the way the bolt is set in them. The Lee Valley units are real poly heavy duty ones and the bolt is made to secure itself in the frame of the swivel and then a nut on the other side. These seem to just have a bolt straight through. I aint saying they bad but I read buyer beware if i look at other stuff that seller is selling. By example they have a knock off look alike freud raised panel set. The price alone should set alarm bells ringing. They knocked off the box and the red and the markings on the box but look carefully at the cutting carbide and its a give away.
    cheers

I don't remember the brand but I purchased these for $15 each at Home Depot about 4-5 years ago to replace the castors on a heavy duty ShopFox planer base. They lock for rolling as well as turning. There was an extra plastic shield which came off & doesn't seem to effect anything. With the Belsaw planer + 5hp motor on the stand I can roll it anywhere with one hand even up over interlocking 1/2" anti-fatigue mats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacement  wheels for a Shopfox tool base.jpg  
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

pays to shop wisely for castors, get good prices, but its been my experience, cheap is cheap.
    castors are a very important part of a mobile shop, or keeping things moving smoothly, buy the best.
    Human Test Dummy

Another vote for the Zambus casters. I've got them on a 600 pound lathe. They are expensive, but I didn't want to compromise on my lathe.

Regarding the eBay casters you linked to, I wouldn't spend a dime on casters that don't have an actual capacity listed in the description. "Heavy Duty" doesn't really tell you much information.

For low-cost casters, I've had good luck with Harbor Freight, but I don't buy the individual casters...I buy their 1000 pound rated moving dollies on sale and remove the casters to mount on other things. On sale, you can get the small dolly for about $10. I don't think you'll find comparable casters for $2.50 each.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

i paid around $16 per caster for the blue tire ones at home depot. if i remember right they were rated for around 350 lbs each. i have used them on all of my benches, including the behemoth where my lathe resides.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking