can we talk about the weather?

Frank Fusco

Temp got to 111 degrees in Little Rock, Arkansas yesterday. We are in northern Arkansas and temp did get over 100 degrees. My daughter lives in LR but like almost everyone there she is staying inside with the A/C.
As a former cattle farmer I feel terrible about what farmers and ranchers are going through in these conditions. What little hay is available is priced out of sight.
And no end in this situation is seen by the forecasters.
I have only mowed my yard once this year but will have to get up about 5 a.m. one day soon to do it. Grass isn't growing but the weeds are doing just fine.
Y'all take care out there. Don't risk overworking in the heat. It can be deadly.

Mowing the grass is something that I have not missed much. I would rather have it green though. I think I heard our weatherman say that we have only had two days this month under 90 degrees. We have had probably 7-10 days 100 or more.

We went away for the weekend and the temps stayed in the high 70s and low 80s. :doh: We had 95+ temps where we were. We get back and it's back to the high 90 here again. I'm still watering a few flowers every couple of days, but have let everything else go to brown crumbly mess. :(

Shop time is now called sweat time for me. :D

I was commenting to my wife this morning that I was surprised we haven't seen more grass fires than we have. I'm going on 6 weeks since my last mow, I could probably walk around with a weed wacker and take care of what weeds have popped up though.

Well I just spent a week in Park City Utah where the temps never got above the mid 80's but I cam back to the hot humid monsoon weather been in the high 90's with the dew point in the 70% range every day sever thunder storms in the evening. This is the wet'est monsoon season we have had since I moved here. Where is that dry heat when you need it. You guys can keep the humidity.... yuck

I used to have a beautiful plush green front lawn till that drought we had last year! I think we only cut the lawn one time. Didn't have to worry about the weeds as it was to hot and dry even for them!

I didn't even try to keep my lawn alive by watering it and I refuse to do so this year. It will survive or die.

We've had a little rain here this past couple of weeks... but it came too late to save the garden... most of the squash plants have run their coarse and all died... the tomatoes are still alive, but splitting by the time they get ripe.... course what rain we had has stimulated the yard to the point that I need to mow this week and mowed last week when it got about 6 or 8 inches high... the rain would keep me from mowing on MY schedule and it got high enough that I wound up having to rake up the cut grass so it wouldn't kill what was underneath.... all the farmers are making hay like crazy... don't know if it's any good, looks like a lot of weeds in it to me, but I'm not and have never been a farmer, so what do I know?

I just know that half my yard is on a 20-30 degree slope and it's a pain (I was going to use a "B" word - but this is a family site) to mow... especially the part immediately behind the house it's only about 10' wide and about 50 or so feet long before it levels a little above that, but the 10' wide strip is at a 30++ degree angle... I have to use a push mower there and mine is a 6 hp sears I've had about 15 years and heavy... plus it's getting temperamental about starting and the rear wheels have started breaking from fighting the angle this past 6 years.... so new wheels on the mower and it's at a service repair today to see why it doesn't start.... we're scheduled for rain today and 60% chance tomorrow... when I have a market to do....

Like chuck, we've been getting those hit and miss thunderstorms/showers. The temps here have been running in the low to mid 90's which is bearable, but with the humidity the feels like is at 100 or better. I have the dang humidity!

We have D4 Exceptional drought conditions, according to the government people who said we need rain. Very well educated people they have sent to tell us that.

I have United Dynamics here right now, http://www.udipdi.com/, spent over $25,000 couple years ago fixing the bowing basement walls. This time a footer has snapped and let the corner of the house drop, another $4400 poured into the ground. Both times because of dry weather and bad dirt.

We just started feeding hay to the cattle, not much, just enough to hold them over. Sold off a few of the old ones, market is dropping fast, too many being sold.

For the record, I wouldn't change a thing. I love where I live and what we do. Weather like this separates the big boys from the little boys.

Well that sucks Steve! Happy that you are happy where you are! We are suppose to get a bit of relief this weekend, maybe rain but the temps are coming down a bit after today. Amazing that people are happy to see forecast in the low 90s and smiling...

Forecast here for today is 102 and then tomorrow Sat it is to get hot 106. They say we are behind over 10" for this year and over 20" behind scene last July. Its not a pretty site here we only got one cutting of hay normal is 3 the outlook for any good rain fall is not until Oct.

Technically, we're still in a drought condition, but it's been better recently. We've had enough rain to keep things reasonably green all around us. I started watering my lawn after I mowed two weeks ago, then the rain came!!! So far, we've been fortunate this year.

At to temperatures, we've been in the mid-90s for highs mostly which is normal for this time of year. We had our unusually hot weather back in April! It's sad to see fields of corn burning up in the Midwest; around here the corn looks good.

its been a pretty hot humid summer here in the northeast.
I notice my family and me complain in the hot part of the summer, too hot, too humid, and we complain in the cold parts of the winter, too cold to do anything, we complain in the spring or fall if its too warm or too cold as we never know how to dress or pack if we go away.......
how come the weather cant cooperate with us?

Yup, D4 drought here in the heartland.

I'm glad someone else is doing the hard work of farming. I don't think I could tough this out... the lawn is all white and yellow dead and is starting to wear through where I have to walk on it to water the trees. I couldn't imagine trying to support my family on the land in these conditions.

Haven't gotten more than a 30 minute sprinkling in months and I'm ecstatic now because the weather guys say the night lows are going to be in the lower 80's with day highs only in the upper 90's. Day on day on day of 100+ is tiring.

Yup, D4 drought here in the heartland.

I'm glad someone else is doing the hard work of farming. I don't think I could tough this out... the lawn is all white and yellow dead and is starting to wear through where I have to walk on it to water the trees. I couldn't imagine trying to support my family on the land in these conditions.

Haven't gotten more than a 30 minute sprinkling in months and I'm ecstatic now because the weather guys say the night lows are going to be in the lower 80's with day highs only in the upper 90's. Day on day on day of 100+ is tiring.

Hey David put up where yer at so me know where in the heartland ya live.