Vinyl Decal cutting machine ...any advise or help you have to offer or past experienc

Rob, I'd say that is a pretty good deal for a startup system. I have read some on US Cutters a few years ago, and they seemed satisfactory. I have a Roland PNC 1000 which I bought used that can handle up to 20" wide material. I run mostly 15" ORACAL 651 vinyl with good results.

With this package deal you get the sign software too, althought probably somewhat limited in its features. I am running Scanvec CASmate, now out dated but still working, which was pretty expensive ($3000), back 16-18 years ago when I got it.

I would say, for the price, give it a try. I think you'll have fun running it, and you will learn a lot. I am an old brush sign artist and resisted going computer for years. After I got one and got over the learnig curve, I had fun.

Keep us posted on what you do. Aloha.

Rob,
looks like a heck of a deal to me!

I've got a 24" Vinyl Express cutter that I bought through Sign Warehouse about seven years ago. I paid about $1200 for the package I think. It came with the cutter, design software package, and several other CD's with extra fonts and some additional stuff. I'm running Vinyl Express LXi 7.5 Master and it's a pretty decent program and does all I need it to do.

For years I've been making custom decals for members of another site that I'm a member of. I've made a lot of custom boat graphics, vehicle signs, etc. I'm also very good friends with the people that run the local indoor skateboard park and pro shop. I make a lot of window decals and signs for their pro shop. That unit is probably at least a step below what I have as far as quality goes, but it is 34". I wish my machine was 34" but the 24" works fine.

One thing about the cheaper machines is the "tracking" capabilities. If you're doing smaller graphics, it's not that big of a problem. But if you're cutting larger pieces, the tracking becomes much more important. My 24" machine works pretty well for most of what I do. Sometimes if I'm cutting a larger graphic, I'll lay it out and cut it in pieces if I can to alleviate any tracking problems. It's always worked fine though.

I too use Oracal 651 that is rated for 6 year outdoor durability. I've got signs on my truck that I put on at least 3 years ago and they look as good today as the day I installed them! I found that Fellers is a good place to get material. They've got EVERYTHING!

If you ever want to talk, drop me a line and I'll give my my number. I don't do this full time, it's kind of a side thing but I really enjoy doing it and have made some pretty nice graphic displays over the years.

John

Thank you Tony and John. You gave me just the info i was looking for. John when time comes i will contact you for further info. I appreciate the input. I think if i do make a move in this direction i will lay out more coin to get a better grade of unit. On further investigation this company is quiet honest and upfront about the various grades of machines they sell and what one can expect from them and their purpose.

I actually do not really want to get into the process so John i may be getting in touch with you for some quotes.

Bought my cutter actually more like a little over 8 years ago. I bought a new truck and trailer to use for work. I was shocked at the quotes I got for some simple one color signs to put on the truck and trailer. For just a few hundred dollars more, I bought the equipment and did it myself. It's really not hard to do and kind of fun too. I started by putting vinyl directly on the trailer and then made magnetic signs for my truck. But after several years, I decided to forget the magnetic signs and I put the vinyl directly on the truck.

I also belong to a website much like this one but it's geared toward hunting, fishing, and the outdoors. While out fishing one time, I found that I had been anchored probably 50-60 yards from a fellow member for several hours and didn't even know it. I designed a decal with the site name and a graphic in the center. Members can select their design and I put their screen name on the bottom. I've sold a TON of them. They put them on their trucks, boats, RV's, etc. Here's a shot of the different designs I make for them...

MSdecals.jpg

Here's one of them on my truck...

MStrucksample.jpg

And here's a custom decal I made for a buddy who's a big time fly fisherman...

Flies_Only.JPG

I've done a lot of custom boat graphics too. It's really pretty fun to tinker with and I'm really glad that I bought my cutter.