RapidAir Install

glenn bradley

A ways back I got a 25% off coupon for Rockler. I snagged one of their RapidAir Master kits before the price jumped $40 :eek:. Anyway, the installation of it finally floated to the top of the to-do list. I have a long reel of Flexeel hose mounted to the wall which is great. I just wanted a quick-to-grab air supply over by the tablesaw and another over where I do a lot of hand sanding and finishing. Took all of about 2 hours to install, fishing the hose behind the lumber rack and around light fixtures :D. I used regular 1/2" hose clips from the BORG.

Here's the Costco C&H compressor that I thought would last me a year or so . . . 8 years ago, the junction manifold and a view with the noise cover in place (built of scrap PB lined with egg-crate foam, works too well, I've never stopped to make a 'better' one) :p.

RapidAir (1).jpg . RapidAir (2).jpg . RapidAir (3).jpg

One station over the bench, another over the tablesaw and a box of leftovers for growth.

RapidAir (4).jpg . RapidAir (5).jpg . RapidAir (6).jpg

Last edited:
Excellent. I picked up one of those from HF I think? Looks pretty similar, but unlike you, installing it has not yet bubbled up to the top of the wannagonnagettitdun list...

It probably just got a couple of notches higher thanks to you!

what are those block fittings glen? do they do something specail over just a normal 90 degree fitting would do? those slip fittings are slick huh.. one wouldnt think that they would work but they do and dont leak..

what are those block fittings glen? do they do something specail over just a normal 90 degree fitting would do? those slip fittings are slick huh.. one wouldnt think that they would work but they do and dont leak..

They are just what come in the kit. Nothing special, they just provide a mountable block with some mass that has 3/8" and 1/4" FPT openings for goes-intta, goes-outta connections. They offer tee fittings and what not as well. This is my first experience with the system so I do not know how resilient the push fittings are. I treated it a bit like electrical wiring and fastened the hose near the terminating point to avoid and excessive movement. Not inexpensive but, not too pricey either when you consider the ease of install and modification. I am all about things that can be easily modified as my shop changes. They are reported to be pretty tough so we'll see.

Last edited:
I haven't worked with PEX. The hose is pretty springy but, can be persuaded. Minimum bend radius is probably about 6" with 12" being more relaxed. Thus the 90* connectors included; at first I didn't think I would use them but, once I got the hose in hand I realized their purpose. The "block kits" seem a bit pricey but, provide a stable, long life solution. The connectors and hose are about in line with related products.