Big New 'Tool' Woodhauler upgrade

Ned Bulken

Had to have a new tool for my truck for the new job.
I stopped at one dealer for A.R.E in the area, and was inquiring about prices for a new cap. Well, they wanted $1000 plus it would take three weeks +/- to get here. Hrmm. ouch on the price and I needed secure storage sooner than that. What do you have used? well... for $550 installed I got this:

newcap.jpg

Last edited:
Frank,
what do you think the space behind the seat is for?

I'm thinking of some striping on the truck once the budget allows to tie in the blue to the cap.
As it turns out, despite being a pre-owned cap, it was a really great deal. New that model lists at $1500!

Thanks Don, and we won't tell anyone you've been Topless, really. Besides, Don, with all that sunshine down yonder... you don't have to put up with the flakey stuff you see floating around in that photo.

I priced a hard tonneau, and that was around $450, so for $100 more I got more covered space.
P1010054.jpg

rear 3/4 view

P1010056.jpg

P1010055.jpg

P1010057.jpg

skylight

Last edited:
Ned, First problem is the truck. It is one of those poor chevy products. :rofl: I hate caps on trucks, as they make backing up with the reveiw hard( use to driving big rigs). I perfer a tarp. They are cheap and easy to apply. You can have the cap painted to match the truck.

Ned, First problem is the truck. It is one of those poor chevy products. :rofl: I hate caps on trucks, as they make backing up with the reveiw hard( use to driving big rigs). I perfer a tarp. They are cheap and easy to apply. You can have the cap painted to match the truck.

now now Al, it works just fine for me. As for the tarp, I have to be able to lock up the supplies for the new job. And do you see those black things sticking off the sides of the door? those are what I use to make backing up easy. that thing in the middle of the windshield just gets in the way imho.

Ned. you poor guys up nawth got yer brains freezed. Behind the seat is for the extra cases of beer and the shotguns. :rofl:

Extra cases? :huh: That's where I keep the keg. :thumb: The straw runs along the console and beside the seat. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DT

THAT is a nice cap, Ned. It is in the same color key as the truck! Good find!

CONGRATULATIONS on the new job!!!! In about 24 hours you report in, correct? Please let us know how it goes.

In about ONe hour I report in... woohoo! funny thing, the pics don't do justice to the rich blue color. I'll try and get a photo today sometime of how it looks in Sunshine instead of bleah overcast.

Nice looking Cap Ned, I like them, my Dad always had them on his trucks, I learned how to back up a trailer on a PU with a cap on it, yep you use them funny things hanging on the door to do it :D

The windows look smoked, are they? If not, you should put some of that mirroed or really dark smoke film on them, as you can lock the cap, but if there is something in view in back, the locks on the caps are not very stout.

Just a thought.

and a blue streak down the side of the truck would look fine :thumb:

PS have a good first day at work! :wave:

Nice looking Cap Ned, I like them, my Dad always had them on his trucks, I learned how to back up a trailer on a PU with a cap on it, yep you use them funny things hanging on the door to do it :D

The windows look smoked, are they? If not, you should put some of that mirroed or really dark smoke film on them, as you can lock the cap, but if there is something in view in back, the locks on the caps are not very stout.

Just a thought.

and a blue streak down the side of the truck would look fine :thumb:

PS have a good first day at work! :wave:

Stu, thanks, yeah they're semi-tinted, and I'm going to tint them darker, though I really doubt I'll be away from the truck long enough during the day for it to matter. (drive a little, go swap a meter, drive some more...) I would like darker than what they are. I may just cut some plywood for temporary coverage if I'm going to be in any rough neighborhoods.

Tyler Howell said:
Boy Ned, you're cooking.
New Wife, Ride, Job
Way to go buddy!

Thanks Tyler! I'm luckiest w/ the new wife (not that I had an old wife). The truck is comfy, and the job should be profitable ( I hope). Just a matter of getting out there and hitting the bricks as it were.

Today was 'welcome to the company' and safety 101. Tomorrow I get safety equipment and so forth, wednesday field training!