Electrical Cord Fix

Mike Turner

Wow I guess I shouldnt have been in shop this afternoon...Ok I havent played much with the new lathe. (Been lining up stuff cause I have a hernia surgery Wed).Anyhow I turned on lathe for 2nd time and had used a heavy drop (hadnt slide lathe into its home yet) and had laid the lathe cord resting on handwheel..just rubbing cord....I saw it quickly but it had rubbed through the outer insulation/cord and I could see naked wire....I cut the 1 1/12" piece out and now I realize I probably should have left that in and could have covered the exposed wires easily but now I have to splice it back together...This happened at about a ft coming out of frequency converter...Whats the best splice to do on this???? Boy feeling like a duhfuss !!!!! Does anybody ever do stuff like this besides me ??

No smoke.fire etc...just rubbed through it..I wont forget that again.... Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn I could just scream !

Last edited:
I think the easiest thing to do now is just get a good plug and put it on the remaining cord and if I ever have to have it serviced or anything Ill get them to put a cord on it. It didnt get caught or pulled or anything like that.

Last edited:
If it's only a foot, that's what I would do. And no, you are NOT the only one that has these little issues from time to time, DAMHIKT :D

The power cord on my tablesaw is only about 18 to 24 inches long. I rubbed through it with the motor pulley years ago. I did the same things you did...put a good plug on the leftover short cord and use an extension cord. I also used some zip ties to make sure the cord never gets close to the pulleys again. ;)

Well I checked and I have 11" so it cant happen again to the lathe power cord...a new plug and some zip ties to hold it toward the lathe legs will do for now. May change cord sometime but not now.

Nice machine! I read an article, tip actually where the author did on purpose what you did accidentialy. Did this to all his stationary tools. His reasoning was with a cord that short, disconnecting his machinery before maintenance was more convieniant. Thus more likely to happen.

That would be my explenation to anyone who asked.