Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Weather Station

Home Weather Station

I'm looking for a decent wireless weather station at a reasonable price ($100-$150). I've had a LaCrosse WS-2317 for several years that still works, but the software crashes Win7. Never had a problem on previous OS versions. There is no update for the software that I've been able to find. I've set it up in several different compatibility modes and have it running as Administrator. I'd like to go with the Davis, but don't want to invest that much in a unit. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

http://www.ambientweather.com/dain62vavuew.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6250-2.gif 
Views:	12 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	69604

This is double your price, but from what I've read it's a very nice unit. It's not the top of the line davis, but yet it's also supposed to be of comparable build.

It's probably what I'll get once my old Oregon Scientific bites the dust.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Bill, Have you considered running a vmware or virtual box on windows 7? Can install xp or vista as a virtual machine and the software won't know any different. Sounds more difficult than it is, but really isn't any harder than re-installing an OS if you have a copy of one of those to the virtual pc. The vmware and virtualbox software is free.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Bill, Have you considered running a vmware or virtual box on windows 7? ...
    I was wondering if I could set up a virtual machine as you describe. I'll look into those and see what happens.

It's always been amazing to me that no matter what Microsoft says about new OS's, they always manage to screw up something. I had no issue with the weather station software running on anything prior to Win7!!!!! So much for all of its improvements! Unfortunately, my previous machines with previous OS versions all died.
    Bill Arnold

I've used virtual box and it really works great for some things. I was able to make a live copy of my old xp computer and access when I found out i had forgotten to pull some much needed software over.

IT's worth a shot! (cheaper than 150 or 300 bucks!)
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Just curious. Is the weather station a serial connected device? If so, are you using a serial to usb adapter with it?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Just curious. Is the weather station a serial connected device? If so, are you using a serial to usb adapter with it?
    Yes, on both. Could that cause this problem? I had read that a Serial/USB adaptor could create an issue with data handling, but all data is being transferred as it should be.
    Bill Arnold

Bill i have had several experiences with these serial to usb adapters. Given their cost its well worth trying a few different brands. I cannot say one particular brand has solved all my issues. In many cases they pretty much no name brands.
    What version of windows 7 are you running? I have had no problem getting old programs to run on windows 7 pro. I only did it after looking into my processor and ensuring it was compatible with the features that allow one to run the windows Xp virtual machine.
    I dont know which way you want to go but that is another option you may want to look at if you have other legacy software.

Touch wood so far i have been able to get everything old i wanted to run.

As to Weather stations well i have the unit Davis unit that you indicated you wanted to avoid. I have not yet installed software to speak to the console unit that comeswith the Davis station. But the station itself has given me no issues at all. Sofware is on my long to do list.

Best of luck getting your issue sorted.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Yes, on both. Could that cause this problem? I had read that a Serial/USB adapter could create an issue with data handling, but all data is being transferred as it should be.
    Well you said it "crashes win7", which to me sounds more like a hardware conflict than software. I assume you were getting a blue screen or something is locking up to the point windows isn't responsive? If so, then I'd point the finger at the usb/serial device or it's drivers and perhaps the weather software conflicting with those.

You might search for a different driver to see if it resolves the issue...

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...sb-serial.html

Edit: If you need help finding drivers, let me know who makes the usb/serial adapter and the model number and we'll see what we can come up with.
    Darren

What software are you using? Perhaps there some other options out there as well...