House deal update

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Boy, when something is meant to be!

Last summer I tore out the deck because of dry rot. Now, of course it needs to be replaced. No problem. Until the contractor said last Wednesday morning, "By the way, we will need a building permit." Yikes! That afternoon I went to the building department and asked what was needed. They gave me the forms, told me the fire department needed to sign off on the plans. Then it would take 10 days for the first review and up to 22 more days for final review. The fire department would take 1o days as well. These are weekdays, not calendar days. Thought sure the closing date was in great jeopardy.

Sketched out what I wanted to do. Went to the fire department on Thursday. Took ten minutes! Went to the building department. Gave them all the paper work. We scribbled over the sketched pains until everyone was happy and I understood what they wanted. Nothing onerous, as it turns out. Wrote the first check.

Today, less than a week later, I get a call from the building department. The plans are approved and the permit can be picked up as soon as they get the balance of the money. Check will go out in the mail today.

Think this was meant to be?

Sounds like things were slow at City Hall and folks were looking for things to do. Sometimes living in a small town can have its advantages, huh? ;)

Thats interesting. In the town i am currently living in they have a special program in the summer for people to take their projects like decks and sheds and small jobs to get speedy approval.

One visit to the planning department in the evening and they check out your plans correct them if they not too bad and sign off so you can get going. Excellent service i have used several times even to get advice on regs.
Quiet suprised the fire department had to get involved with a deck. What was the logic behind their involvment any idea?

@Rob

My house is in the forest - one reason I love it and will always cherish my time there - and cry when I leave it for the last time. Whatever we build must pass the fire department's muster. That and they check the plot plan to see that they can still get their equipment in - and out. Makes sense, really.

Ahh that makes good sense. Even the part without forest just to make sure that fire guys can access home after deck. Way homes burn here, odd thing is the deck might be only thing standing after a fire. :)